Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

First time oil change

14K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  The Evil Twin 
#1 ·
Hi,

About to change the oil by myself for the first time.
Any tips about what oil to use?
No budget.

Thanks

#2 ·
I use Motul 300V Full Synthetic. Been using it since the bike was new and still going strong. I would recommend using a K&N oil filter or some other filter that has the piece on it to allow you to put a socket on it. The first time I did my oil change, the dealer didnt lube the gasket and I destroyed my filter and was almost at the point where I was going to throw it in my truck and get the dealer to fix it. There just isnt that much room to work with the filter I found. This is in regards to 06 plus models.

#3 ·
i just did my first as well 600mile oil change. I used Amsoil Synthetic 10W40 Motorcycle Oil the "blue cap" couldn't be happier and id agree for the reasons above to get a K&N oil filter was a bitch to get the original off like the idea of using a wrench to get this next one off.
also i did buy a magnetic tipped oil drain plug from revzilla just for added protection. guess time will only tell if that was needed.

#12 ·
Can you? Yes. Should you? Only if you can find it in 10-30 or 10-40
The only good thing I've ever heard about the K&N filter is the ability to take it off with a socket wrench. Nothing about it's ability to filter your oil.
Because that's the only good thing. Lol. Even then, I've had them break the weld using it. I just use a filter cap wrench. So simple. Three bikes all use the same size.

#11 ·
I ran T6 in my '14...and '04 RR....never an issue, but I've stuck with synth blend (Castrol Activo 10-40) in the '15. It seems to like it better.

Also, pick an oil you can get...and stick with OEM filters. They are a Denso...and are worth the extra couple bucks.

#14 ·
First number is the winter viscosity second number is the summer viscosity!! 5w40,10w40, 20w40.. 5, 10, 20 are all winter weights and I am pretty sure you don't have winter down there!! LOL so it doesn't matter what winter weight you use

#18 ·
Not necessarily. A 10w50 would be a better choice in cold temps than a 20w50. For a given engine spec (provided the oil falls within that spec) if the temps are on the low side of the scale a lower winter spec oil is the proper one to use.
Oh, and the color tells you nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.