Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Another break bleeding thread - tried everything

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Flyers28 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have an issue that has been driving me nuts. I have a 07 R6 and I can't seem to get the front brakes 100% bled. Once there's pressure, the lever has good feeling, but it has way more sponginess and play at the beginning of the lever than it should.

Steps taken:

I've bled the brakes via all 3 bleeders multiple times
I've rebuilt the master cylinder
I tried the zip tie overnight trick
I tried bleeding via the banjo bolt

Nothing seems to make a difference.

Current setup:
Stock MC
SS lines
Motorex fluid
Vesrah SRJL pads
Floating rotors (I forget the brand)

Are there any other tricks or things I should be checking? I'm pretty much out of ideas.

See less See more
#7 ·
Vacuum Bleeders won't really help you with speed bleeders. If you replaced the lines it can take a long time to get all the air out using the traditional lever squeeze method. The best way to bleed after replacing lines is to reverse bleed the system, but your past that point by now since you already got the fluid pulled through. I always start at the MC and bleed that, then move to the left side and bleed that and then right side closer to the MC and bleed that. No idea if that actually matters, just how I was always taught.

Some other things to consider:
-Banjo Bolts are torqued to spec with washers in place ( probably pretty obvious if no leaks, and probably would give spongy feel throughout pull)
-There's no sticking piston in the Calipers
-Give the lines a few taps with a screw driver or something as your bleeding them (heard that can sometimes get stuck air bubbles to move, no idea if its true)

Just some things to try until the experts come along and offer their advice.

#8 ·
- I've had these lines for ~2 years so hopefully any bubbles would have aired out by then
- Banjo bolts are tight and have washers
- would a sticking piston give a spongy feel without any other symptoms?
- I'll try tapping around and seeing if I can get any new bubbles out.

The weird thing is that I have an '04 R1 that has pretty much the same feel as the r6. With that in mind, I'd almost think that my feeling is the best I can get it, but I have buddies with other R6s that have instant grab on the brakes.

#10 ·
No, I don't have one on the M/C.
What do you mean cracking that and showing a picture of the reservoir?

Yeah, I'm confident the rotors are straight. Even if they weren't, wouldn't that only manifest itself after rolling the wheel and pushing the pistons back?

#11 ·
No, I don't have one on the M/C.
What do you mean cracking that and showing a picture of the reservoir?
Yeah, I'm confident the rotors are straight. Even if they weren't, wouldn't that only manifest itself after rolling the wheel and pushing the pistons back?

wanted to see how much fluid is in the reservoir.
I would pull the lever... and crack the M/C bleeder nut and see if bubbles come out.
This happens to pros too... a firm lever in the pits is one thing... when a fast rider adds copious heat that one stupid bubble could expand & cause an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.