Other Fluids - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Other Fluids

I just got my 05 with 9k on it recently, and I THINK most of the fluids were done 2 years ago according to seller, besides oil done before winter. Oil looks very clean, should it still be changed?

The brake fluids look light orange-ish (I think this is clean?), but the brakes don't feel incredibly touchy/powerful. I see the manual calls for rebuilding the brakes every 2 yrs, should this actually be done this often? Or just pads/fluid/bleed?

I'd like to change all the fluids in the bike, coolant, brake fluid, oil, etc. I think I'm going with Amsoil 10W-40 from Bob for the oil/filter. What else should I change and what kinds are recommended for best performance/reliability?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Supporting Sponsor

Re: Other Fluids

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend4life View Post
I just got my 05 with 9k on it recently, and I THINK most of the fluids were done 2 years ago according to seller, besides oil done before winter. Oil looks very clean, should it still be changed?

The brake fluids look light orange-ish (I think this is clean?), but the brakes don't feel incredibly touchy/powerful. I see the manual calls for rebuilding the brakes every 2 yrs, should this actually be done this often? Or just pads/fluid/bleed?

I'd like to change all the fluids in the bike, coolant, brake fluid, oil, etc. I think I'm going with Amsoil 10W-40 from Bob for the oil/filter. What else should I change and what kinds are recommended for best performance/reliability?
Brake Fluid would be right on top of the list..

Brake Fluid is Hygroscopic and the system should be Bled every year and the totally flushed every other. Or however you would word that.

There is no way to tell if brake fluid is good or bad by looking at it if it is just contaminated with water. If you see any discoloration, the bike should be parked until the system is thoroughly flushed. I have DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid at an Unbeatable price...

Change the oil...If you live in an area where there was any storage time, the oil and filter should be changed before you ride. Most people don't understand that the TBN (oils ability to neutralize acidity) depletes even if the engine hasn't been run. Few oils will have the ability to ride-store-ride on and AMSOIL has a high enough TBN for that.

Fork oil... Some do, Some Don't... I will do mine this year as bike is nearing 2 yrs old... I will use AMSOIL STM 10 wgt fluid. I think every 3 yrs is an acceptable time frame

Unless you have Extended Life Anti-Freeze, it is only good for 2 years... I use AMSOIL (what else) Extended Life... Good for 7 years... 3.5 times longer than other Anti-Freeze.

Whichever your choice in Anti-Freeze... Make sure it is "Silicate Free"

Bob

C:\Documents and Settings\Oil Doc\My Documents\My Pictures\mcf_qt_350phx-121x250.jpgForum Members call or email me for pricing information shipped from the closest AMSOIL warehouse. For more info go to www.bestoil4you.com or 1-877-356-6099
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Supporting Sponsor

Also, Remember....

Any Brake fluid left over is junk... do not attempt to save it

C:\Documents and Settings\Oil Doc\My Documents\My Pictures\mcf_qt_350phx-121x250.jpgForum Members call or email me for pricing information shipped from the closest AMSOIL warehouse. For more info go to www.bestoil4you.com or 1-877-356-6099
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Got street appeal?

Bike: '04 and '07 R6
Send a message via AIM to shnormo

I use DOT 4 synthetic fluid and I change it every year. For coolant, I use engine ice and change that out after 2 summers (1 winter). Fork fluid, I change every 2 years also. I stick with Yamaha's shock oil. It's hard to find an "identical" weight fluid. Amsoil 10w-40 in the crank case.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Supporting Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnormo View Post
I use DOT 4 synthetic fluid and I change it every year. For coolant, I use engine ice and change that out after 2 summers (1 winter). Fork fluid, I change every 2 years also. I stick with Yamaha's shock oil. It's hard to find an "identical" weight fluid. Amsoil 10w-40 in the crank case.
What is the Viscosity of the Yamaha Fork Oil ? Seems we sell a huge amount of our 10 wgt and we also have 7.5.

Bob

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
Brake Fluid would be right on top of the list..

Brake Fluid is Hygroscopic and the system should be Bled every year and the totally flushed every other. Or however you would word that.

There is no way to tell if brake fluid is good or bad by looking at it if it is just contaminated with water. If you see any discoloration, the bike should be parked until the system is thoroughly flushed. I have DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid at an Unbeatable price...

Change the oil...If you live in an area where there was any storage time, the oil and filter should be changed before you ride. Most people don't understand that the TBN (oils ability to neutralize acidity) depletes even if the engine hasn't been run. Few oils will have the ability to ride-store-ride on and AMSOIL has a high enough TBN for that.

Fork oil... Some do, Some Don't... I will do mine this year as bike is nearing 2 yrs old... I will use AMSOIL STM 10 wgt fluid. I think every 3 yrs is an acceptable time frame

Unless you have Extended Life Anti-Freeze, it is only good for 2 years... I use AMSOIL (what else) Extended Life... Good for 7 years... 3.5 times longer than other Anti-Freeze.

Whichever your choice in Anti-Freeze... Make sure it is "Silicate Free"

Bob
Thanks Bob for all of your help on here, very useful information. Its great to have you on this forum. I'll be adding those to my list, I'm assuming you can give a nice discount and also save me more on shipping cost to order everything at once? Please PM me prices on the brake fluid, coolant, fork oil, and engine oil all together.

Any other fluids left? Or other things you would advise to change on the bike to make sure it is up to spec maintenance wise?

What are the opinions on replacing the internals of the calipers and master cylinder every 2 yrs as the manual calls for? Is it necessary or not needed?

Can I do all of these myself DIY at home or are they difficult for a first timer? I have done oil/coolant/clutch fluid before on cars.

Last edited by legend4life; 04-14-2009 at 02:13 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnormo View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is the engine ice good enough for the track and does it really cool better than pure water/water wetter? How much did it drop your temps? Will it protect against corrosion as good as the OEM stuff? Anyone know how Amsoil and others compare?

Whats the oem fork oil weight, and does the Amsoil work well for this?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 12:32 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 06 Yamaha YZF R6

Hey bob I have a question can you send me an invoice for 3 qts of amsoil an oilfilter, chain grease, Fork oil AMSOIL STM 10 wgt fluid, AMSOIL Extended Life antifreeze, DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid. I wan't to do it all for this season. How much will it all cost.???? I have an 06 yamaha R6 with about 3,000 miles on it.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Supporting Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxapak View Post
Hey bob I have a question can you send me an invoice for 3 qts of amsoil an oilfilter, chain grease, Fork oil AMSOIL STM 10 wgt fluid, AMSOIL Extended Life antifreeze, DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid. I wan't to do it all for this season. How much will it all cost.???? I have an 06 yamaha R6 with about 3,000 miles on it.
I sure can.... I will work it up tomorrow... I am just playing on the other computer right now and my pricing is on my office computer...

Thanks, Bob

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 04:26 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 06 Yamaha YZF R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
I sure can.... I will work it up tomorrow... I am just playing on the other computer right now and my pricing is on my office computer...

Thanks, Bob

K thanks a lot! Post it when you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.