Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

mercenary's - 2009 track build

40K views 274 replies 44 participants last post by  YamaBluR6 
#1 · (Edited)
With the winter approaching I guess I'll hop on the trend of making a build thread. In March I bought my first sportbike, a 2010, off the showroom floor rode it all summer hoping one day I'd be able to get out to a track. About two months ago I was able to pick up a cosmetic damaged 2009 for the wife to eventually ride some and to be a dedicated track bike for me. Next season I plan on entering the MCRA series at both Putnam and Heartland Park.

Over the winter I want to get plastics for it, tire warmers, a front stand, brake overhaul, and I guess I should look into a damper. I've kinda been looking at the kevlar covers to protect the tank too.

Any suggestions or opinions of what/where to buy are more than welcome as this will be my first track build and my limited track experience.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
It was the only way to get her approval for another one. I ran the 2010 for the pridmore school in August and was terrified of laying it down. At least with the 09 if it gets wrecked I can still ride.

I finally got the forks set up at the last today and it made a world of difference. The bike was a ton more stable on entry.

#9 ·
mike at ridersdiscount.com will hook you up on parts.

slap on some bodywork, damper, tires and go.

#17 ·
I'll probably watch craigslist for the front stand. I had good luck finding good used stands cheap.the only problem is every squid and his mother have a rear stand...front stands are probably a little harder to come by.

#21 ·
I get the concept of the gearing change, but what difference will the 520 chain make? I just had the stock suspension tuned at the end of the season so I'll probably stock with it for now. I plan on tuning my skill before wiring about making the machine faster.

To me there its no point in having the fastest bike at the track if you don't have the skill to back it up.

#25 ·
You can tell I'm anxious to get parts, too bad I'm so poor. Already have the bike stripped down ready for plastics.

Will smog block offs matter if I'm not running a Bazzaz or Autotune?

#26 ·
I'm so jealous of all these threads! I think it's been decided... When I get out to TX, I too will build my track bike! Tired of toying with the idea... It's all your fault Jon, you are the straw that broke the camels back... Stay tuned for the R-silaxin build... and parts for sale thread! hahaha Like my sweet ass headlights...

#28 ·
Finally! Picked up a set of used Hotbodies off a buddy. Anyone know if cutting on the lower is against any organization's rules off the top of your head? Still has stock exhaust and I can't afford a new one and Bazazz.:thumbdown

Also have to modify a windshield to fit on them, and cut them for my woodcraft sliders.

#29 ·
I'm pretty sure that you just can't do any official races or be licensed with the lower cut. Issue is that if something busted or oil leaks, it could come out the belly and on to the track.

You should be ok if you cut it. Think about all of the bikes with street plastics out on the tracks :fact Cut it for now, and then later find someone to patch it back up.

#34 ·
Figure I'll update since I haven't in a while.

Got the new tank on, with a new tank fairing, and ETI tank sliders. I'm still in the middle of an 05 header mod, and have a new front sprocket to play with.

Still need to either fix my front set of Fren tubos or order a replacement line after snapping my banjo during the install.

**pics when I wake up tomorrow afternoon**

#37 ·
:popcorn:

#46 ·
Anyone ever posted a dyno graph on how much gain is to be had out of it? I can't imagine it being maybe more than a couple of HP, but that with the 05 header mod, and a -1 up front should produce a stupid fast bike compared to stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.