Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

mercenary's - 2009 track build

40K views 274 replies 44 participants last post by  YamaBluR6 
#1 · (Edited)
With the winter approaching I guess I'll hop on the trend of making a build thread. In March I bought my first sportbike, a 2010, off the showroom floor rode it all summer hoping one day I'd be able to get out to a track. About two months ago I was able to pick up a cosmetic damaged 2009 for the wife to eventually ride some and to be a dedicated track bike for me. Next season I plan on entering the MCRA series at both Putnam and Heartland Park.

Over the winter I want to get plastics for it, tire warmers, a front stand, brake overhaul, and I guess I should look into a damper. I've kinda been looking at the kevlar covers to protect the tank too.

Any suggestions or opinions of what/where to buy are more than welcome as this will be my first track build and my limited track experience.

See less See more
#210 ·
Glad you're alright Jon! I had a rough highside and broke my foot last year... Rode the rest of the day,though! Heal up, keep that foot up, and on ice. You'll be back out there in no time!

:cheers

#219 ·
Just took my sock off :laugh

View attachment 120001

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Ouch... That doesn't look too bad though. My whole foot turned purple when I broke my heel last year in my highside. I'm curious how/why your toes are bruised though... Quite peculiar... :laugh

Keep it wrapped, and up as much as you can. Ice on it before you go to bed will help keep swelling down too...

#218 · (Edited)
eh thats not too bad :laugh as a side note whats done to your forks, 30mil kit? if so i thought that those were always supposed to be ran flush with the upper triple clamp or maybe thats just on the newer versions? Edit- maybe im getting the caps confused and they are 25mil kit so im just all around mistaken.

bike still looks fresh, maybe its time to dig into those Michelin tires you have :cheers

#220 · (Edited)
25mm Ohlins cartridges in front. I run them lower to help turn in late.

Didn't want to burn through the Michellin's until race time I was laying rubber on almost every turn so save the race tires for race time.

Ouch... That doesn't look too bad though. My whole foot turned purple when I broke my heel last year in my highside. I'm curious how/why your toes are bruised though... Quite peculiar... :laugh

Keep it wrapped, and up as much as you can. Ice on it before you go to bed will help keep swelling down too...

Broken Cuboid, just got back from the doc. My guess is the blood pooled where the swelling wasn't that bad.

#222 ·
Almost forgot AMA rider Ron Mears followed my teammate Andre (dreday on the forum) for a session last weekend and told him that at the pace he was running he couldn't keep sight of him long enough to critique him. :cheers Definitely helps you to know you aren't just putting around on the track when someone that caliber tells you something like that.

#224 ·
Good News...loaned the bike to an AMA Supersport rider for Mid-Ohio. He brought it back to me with a custom dyno tune which bumped the bike from a crap-tastic 109 HP to 117 HP. The suspension was refreshed by the Ohlins trackside vendor and the settings were redone with the vendor telling the rider that I should gain 1-2 seconds from his changes in the suspension.

:party

Waiting for the bike to be dropped back off now with my new PCV+QS so I can load the map straight into the ECU.

#225 ·
Sounds rad. Congrats! :cheers

Are you as fast as Andre?

#231 ·
So....end of September I grenaded my bike at Blackhawk Farms. Ended up shattering my ankle in the crash. Randomly decided to update my Hookit account with some events and results and put some sponsorship applications out there.

Got a pretty sweet offer from Race Tech suspension. The kicker is my wife wants all the track bikes sold off since I've had some crappy luck about getting hurt in almost every off I've had.

#236 ·
Lets just say that I found out last night that my wife is subscribed to this thread :sing

And by that I mean "Yes honey I will do whatever is in the best financial interest of our family" :rook

#239 ·
Congrats man. That's huge!!

#243 ·
Just got the bike back for the first time since my off during the last Supersport race of the year on Sept. 21

Needs a lot of work, gonna focus on my current ninja 250 build and slowly rebuild the R6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.