Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

The progress of Vixxen

21K views 138 replies 22 participants last post by  Darthteddy 
#1 ·
The back story.

Bought my first r6 back in July. Bought it for just over 5 thousand, Loved the crap out of it. Was a lime green 07 that needed some loving.
I wasnt riding here. Just posing with my new bike. :D

Between July and December I put about 10,000 miles on it, and about a month of that time I wasnt driving after I chopped the end of my finger off. :sing

Then Dec. 6th I got hit by a car on my way home from work and totaled the bike. Shattered my shoulder in the process and banged up my knee.

Had shoulder surgery 2 weeks after to have metal plates put in to hold what was left of my collar bone together.

Spend another 5 weeks on the couch after that before I has to go back to work. (Marine Helicopter CrewCheif).
Thats me in the back. :D

Shortly after that I found out that my bike had officially been totaled and the insurance company was gonna make some offers. After having my lawyer harass them and not letting them lowball me, I ended up getting almost $13000 for the bike, the gear, the loss of use, and interest.

So id been looking for a new bike when my buddy offered to sell my his 08 Raven that he had been using as a track bike. He'd tracked it about 4 times in the last 6 months, so it had some love on it, but it wasnt completely burned out. (I hope)

Ended up buying it off of him for 4000, and he included front and rear stands, and some tire warmers, and a brand new GPR v4. Not a bad pickup.
Here she is when I took it to the DMV for Vin Verification. Michigan Bike so no Emissions crap to remove this time around.

And once I dropped it off at work.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yesterday I had a new tire put on the rear. It had Dunlop 211 GPs which were trashed. The front has a little more life left on it, So I put a Pilot Road 2 on the back. I have a pilot Pure laying around somewhere that ill have mounted on the front sometime next week.

Today I rode over to the Yami Dealer and picked up some oil, coolant, sparkplugs, a package of the plastic rivits, and an oil filter. Bike just turned over 8000 miles so it was time for a tune up. Got the bike up on stands and instantly missed the 06-07 fairings. Soooo much easier to take on and off. Took me about an extra 15 minutes to figure it all out but I got them all off. In the process found plenty of stripped bolts, missing rivits, cracked plastic bits, missing things and so on. Heres a list of the bigger things I found wrong

Missing Front gas tank bolts
Broken rear hugger
Rear gas tank bolt stripped out
Missing half the rivets on the tail
Broken tail light
Missing nuts for mirrors
Worn out grips
Tons of stripped out fairing bolts
Broken inner radiator area plastic fairing things
Many broken tabs on fairings
Broken tabs on right side tail fairings
Holes in gas tank from someone using wrong screws for tank sides
Missing seat bolt
Ripped Passenger seat
Broken ring on fuel cap
Steering lock InOp

Im sure I left out a bunch of things. Im pretty anal when it comes to my bike. I went through the last one and replaced every bolt that was in correct or misplaced. This bikes gonna get the same treatment.

So after I got wrapped up with the tune up and cleaning, I got on bike bandit and started ordering. Spend many hundreds with them ordering all the appropriate bolts, fairing washers, missing pieces of foam, rubber grommets, Rivets, worn stickers, and so on. Im hoping the stuff will get here this week but usually with them it comes in 2.

Then I went ahead and ordered some of Shermans Levers, a Motodynamic Smoked integrated tail light, some Driven grips, and a few other odds and ends.

Still need to buy a set of sliders, spools, and barends. Probably gonna get the Shogun set. Need to get a set of passenger plugs for when the Wifey isnt riding with me, some HIDs, Smog block offs, Power Commander, Rearsets, and a new gas tank. Also want to find some black shock tubes and some of the older Raven gold wheels. Dont like the Olive Drab ones.

#6 ·
Im spending money faster then I can post updates. lol.

Went ahead and ordered the block offs from Agg and some driven gel grips.

Im ready to pull the plug and order the exhaust. Just cant decide which one. Everytime I think ive made up my mind I change it. Before I had the bike I was dead set on getting the full graves titanium exhaust. Right now im between an Akro, and a Leo Vince. Im swinging more towards the Leo just because it is a little smaller and hugs the swing arm better.

I had a full yoshi system on the last bike and I really liked it. I really want Titanium headers this time around, but I might just go Stainless Steel to save a few hundred bucks on something Ill never really notice the difference. Just for that bluing of the headers. Any input on this.

#8 · (Edited)
I did indeed.

The bike looks great from 10 feet. Up close theres quite a few flaws that im gonna deal with. Today I almost just ordered a few fairings from yamaha to have perfect ones, But I was smart and decided not to. Just gonna have to wait until someone sells a set or I get them painted.

On a side note, someone had attempted to steal the bike from my buddy a few months back. The bike had caliper locks on it, but The results were as you would imagine. They messed up the ignition cylinder and the steering lock, as well as used a flat head to try and open the passenger seat compartment and then tried to pry off the gas cap from the ring. FML. So it looks like ill be trying to find a set of locks on Ebay. Thank god its not the Euro/Canadian version where you have the immobilizer system and have to do the ECU.

#9 ·
clean bike, dunno why you dont like that color of rims, i just traded my black rims for that color, therefore making my bike exactly like yours, but cooler. :look

#10 ·
I just like the true gold over the olive drab. Maybe its just me.

On a side note I ordered a lock set off eBay for 150 bucks that includes the gas lid and the pass seat lock. I'm almost done ordering. By next week I should have my mind made up on which exhaust I'll be getting.

Gotta try and get this thing finished up in a few weeks. Just found out that I'll probably be loosing my license in March for 6 months so I want to get all the riding in I can. Do tracks require a drivers license? If not then in march I'll be buying race fairings and getting in the only ride time I can. :)

#11 · (Edited)
Lopped off the end of your finger lubing the chain, losing your license...

And this is why there's safety briefs...

:D

#13 ·
Got A few packages at my house, but I've been stuck at work all week. Will start putting then on tomorrow night. Rode down here Monday night and found out my left knee is a little more FUBAR then I had thought. There a a broken piece of my tibia just under my knee cap that makes my knee feel like its gonna rip in half after riding for about 30 min. Gonna try and get it operated on before the weather starts getting warm.

Also, went and picked up a new helmet today to replace the Icon that I went down in. Had wanted an AGV for a while and cycle gear had the K3s on sale for like $120. I was planning on getting the K4 evo, but my chin touches the front of the helmet. The K3 fits great, and I couldn't pass up the price.

#14 ·
Here's the X-ray of my knee as I was getting a corti zone injection the other day. For reference the spot at the top of the picture is the knee cap, the straight line is the needle going behind the broken bit.

#15 ·
Get that taking care of man thats gotta be so painful! Nice helmet BTW.

#16 ·
Welllll......

Came home tonight from a long weeks work. Opened the door to find this on the table and the woman in the kitchen making dinner.

Opened it all up. Everything came in except my gas tank. Doesnt look like much, but the two baggies of bolts and rivets are the meat and potatoes of the order.

Shout out to the forum sponsors. I promise by the end of the build Ill try and show all of you a little love. :D

Shermoto Racing Levers. Always wanted a set of these, never got them on my 07. Really splurging on this bike. Gold adjusters to keep the color motif going. :p

Agg Racing block offs and a MotoDynamic Smoked tail light.

Lots and Lots and Lots of replacement hardware. Almost everything on the bike between this order and a few boxes I have laying around from the other bike.

New rear hugger and left "Air Duct" to replace broken ones.

New front inner fenders left and right, and the flasher relay bracket thats on the left side attached near the radiator. Mine currently has a hairline crack on it.

New lock set and a set of driven grips.

Still need to buy a set of sliders/spools/bar ends and an exhaust. Maybe ill get around to ordering it next week. Gonna try and get most of this stuff installed tomorrow and sunday. Will post my progress as I go.

#17 ·
Nice pile of parts man. Keep us updated with installed pics!

#18 ·
Nice stache'...

Pun... Intended!

:lmao

:popcorn:

#20 ·
Looks like a deployment stache', at least, I sure hope so... :laugh

#22 · (Edited)
Installed most of the stuff this morning. Got the tail light installed, the levers, inner fender pieces, grips, and a large majority of the bolts and rivets. Also swapped out the rear tire hugger. Didn't get the gas tank yet, but when I do I'll be putting in the Agg smog plates and the rest of the hardware replacements.

When I was changing out the grips I found that at some point when the bike had gone down the right clip on got scuffed, cracking the throttle tube in the process. A few minutes with a piece of sand paper and the tube was smooth again. I cleaned up the throttle itself but it needs to be replaced. I'll probably go with OEM, but I'm gonna look into the Graves one.

Sher moto levers look great

New inner fenders on

Broken clip on/throttle tube

Smoked tail light

Close up of throttle

Broken crap for the trash can

#23 · (Edited)
Who's got the best prices on full exhausts? Most likely the Leo Vince.

Also just ordered the throttle tube Assy from bike bandit. Looked at the graves but from what I read its not worth it. And the motion pro looked good but doesn't seem to be worth it for the street use the bike will be getting

#24 ·
Anthony @ BAUCE Racing.

#27 ·
Nice work brother! Great attention to detail. I'm doing the same to my bike currently. Mine needed a few more drastic repairs though. And good luck with that squadron stache! I tried the deployment stache for a while but couldn't take it, so I decided to go with a full beard when i got out in November. :D I'm in for updates!

#28 ·
At first I didnt like the stashe, and Kendall deffinatly doesnt like it. But now that its filled out I love it. I cant count how many compliments I get when im on base, and even a few out in town. Its like that heineken commercial. Its not always the right time for it, but who knows when im gonna find myself in a old timey bare knuckle boxing match.

I desperately need a full set of pristine fairings, but ill probably hold off on that for a bit unless some come up on craigslist. Mine have all these very minor nicks and scratches when you get within a few feet of them. Drives me crazy.

Im also convinced that some of the zip ties on the forks are in the wrong position. Some of the wires are a little too tight, and the brake line on the right clip on rubs the console cover at full right lock. Need to address that tomorrow.

Was hoping the gas tank would be here after I was gone all day but alas, its not. Had to go put the 7th tire on the wifey's VW Jetta in that last 10 months, because she apparently doesnt know how to not hit things that are sharp. :bash:bash

While we were out stopped by cycle gear and got her a new helmet to replace her Seven0Seven. I wanted her to get the same AGV K3 that I just got, but she had other plans. So now im stuck with her wearing this behind me.:throwup

As a plus she gave me the green light to buy the exhaust without bitching. Best 60 bucks I ever spent.

Also picked up some spool sliders today, but they are the wrong size. Ill exchange them sometime this week.

#30 ·
Buy Woodcrafts...

#29 ·
Nice bike!

#31 ·
Well I pmed chief and a few other vendors on the site and got no replies. Wanted to order the exhaust tomorrow.

Anyone know where else to get the best price on the full Leo Vince factory R exhaust with the carbon can? Best I've found so far is $1200

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.