Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Johnson Motorsports 2015 Racebike

11K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  one!3admofo 
#1 ·
Figured I'd document as this thing goes along. Picked up a brand new 2015 r6 from mukwonago Yamaha in Wisconsin. Pretty damn good deal, $8500 out the door. I'm going to be turning this thing into a full blown racebike over the winter. We will be racing in ccs Midwest and wera next year. I'm still waiting on some of the main parts for the bike. Il be putting an aim mxl2 dash in, cameras, suspension pots, built motor, everything. It's going to cost more then I'd probably like but it's going to be sweet. Here it is when I brought it home. Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Car Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automobile repair shop
Engine Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

Tore it all apart like the second it got home. Motor out and sent to builder.

See less See more
#23 ·
#4 ·
This is like deja vu from last winter for me.

#6 ·
I had checked out the graves bikes for a little while. I felt like they were kinda high on pricing. It's 25k for the dsb and the way I read it and understood it was that didn't include ohlins or any sort of aftermarket suspension or quick changes with adding like 5k to the price tag. Plus I like building these things... I'm definitely keeping track of how much of a money pit this one will be and will be cool to see how it compares in price to just buying a graves one.

#7 ·
Vehicle Auto part Car Wheel
Auto part Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive exterior

Ohlins rear in. Probably going to have to pull it back out once i get my suspension potentiometers and fab up a bracket for it. Also realized when I get my ff front kit I am going to need to disassemble the new forks again to put the fender brackets in...:/ oh well. Anything is worth not pulling the calipers off each time.

#9 ·
Only racing bike this past year. Only been on a bike for like 10 track days. No past experience at all on any motorcycles. Klx 110 is all messing around. We raced a lot of go karts though so racing is well known. Lots of 250cc super kart experience aswell as 125 stock Honda shifters. We actually have lap records at blackhawk farms and grattan raceway with the 250.

As far as classes we raced mainly anything we could last year. 4-6 classes a weekend. Supersport and superbike 600,750,and 1000 all on the 600's. Probably will do the 1000 class on our r1's next year though just simply for fun. Last year we did it for track time and experience.

Samco hoses are sooooooo expensive but I bought them anyway. I forgot to take pics... Heading to barber right now for a track day to do a little testing.

Going to get some coremoto lines with quick disconnects and aim pressure sensors ordered tomorrow and possibly stuff from EDR. Both have a pretty killer sale going on now.

The 2015 is under the covers keeping clean....

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#10 ·
Elbow dragging at barber:)
White Orange Sportswear Personal protective equipment Carmine

Just starting to get the big parts ordered. Engine is done and picking that up next weekend. Hopefully I can get it tuned, and everything done and be able to take it to Jennings first weekend of February for some testing. I'm new to the flashtune stuff, and tuning stuff in general and it's going to be a huge learning curve. Carbs were much easier to read and tune.
Sky Water Cloud Horizon Sunset
Sky Cloud Architecture Tree City

Barber is my favorite track so far. It's is definitely the cleanest facility I have EVER been to. There's not even pebbles in the paddock it's that clean.

#11 ·
Almost forgot... Fast frank gp lifters. These are sweet. Takes about an hour to install. Auto part Automotive exterior Firearm Gun
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Fender Wheel
Bumper Automotive exterior Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system

It requires drilling and talking two holes into the bottom of the swing arm. These lifters are my favorite because of the wheel holders. They hold the wheel up with the axle out.

If you haven't checked out Frank's stuff, I highly recommend. He's very cool and makes very nice stuff.

#12 ·
Vehicle Bicycle Bicycle part Auto part Bicycle wheel
Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Suspension Tire
Vehicle Auto part

Got the my other bike stripped completely. Needed a new swingarm, I had a sprocket stud back off, and come loose at barber earlier this year and gouged the swingarm pretty bad. For 80$ swingarm and the 50$ graves tool I just put a new one on. Simple project and I highly recommend the graves 3-1 tool. It makes steering head, and swingarm work a breeze.

Here's latest pics of the new bike
Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive wheel system Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Vehicle Machine Engine Auto part

Auto part Engine
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive exterior
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

#15 ·
View attachment 294937 View attachment 294945 View attachment 294953
Got the my other bike stripped completely. Needed a new swingarm, I had a sprocket stud back off, and come loose at barber earlier this year and gouged the swingarm pretty bad. For 80$ swingarm and the 50$ graves tool I just put a new one on. Simple project and I highly recommend the graves 3-1 tool. It makes steering head, and swingarm work a breeze.

Here's latest pics of the new bike
View attachment 294961 View attachment 294969
View attachment 294977 View attachment 294985 View attachment 294993
You can stick the wiring inside and through the frame if you want, then you can also bolt the rectifyer in the same place as the kit harness wants you to mount it.
Less chance of chewing the harness to bits when you're having a bad day.

Any reason why you're keeping the fans?

#13 ·
Auto part Muffler Suspension Hand Suspension part
Vehicle Auto part Motor vehicle Engine Tire
Vehicle Motor vehicle Engine Auto part Automotive engine part
Vehicle Auto part Machine Car Engine
Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Vehicle Exhaust manifold
Auto part Vehicle Engine Automotive exterior Car

Cox radiator guard, samco race kit hoses, new style graves titanium exhaust. I really love these hoses. They were pricey though, and I want to try out Moto Hose with the B bike. In three months they will have the race kit to get rid of aluminum pipes. I'm going to weigh the stock rubber hoses and aluminum pipes plus clamps vs my samco race kit plus clamps. I hope that they aren't heavier then stock or else I may be taking them back off:/. No reason to do TI bolts if I'm going to just add weight in hoses.

#18 ·
Both the '09 and '15 should be identical bikes except engine and colors when complete. Today i need to make some mounts for the dash. I need to make a mount that is deprecate from the fairing stay because just about everytime you crash the fairing stay breaks. I really don't want a destroyed dash.

Then I will mock up some rear suspensions pots, and get powder coating. I've got the benefit of having a very nice powder coater and 7x8 oven at my families shop.

Front suspension pots will wait a week or so. I'm going to get some 52mm clamps ordered to mount them up top and then drill the hole in the fork leg.

Also need to get ahold of either Chris or Kirk at FTECU. The wiring diagram is kind of confusion for the QS harness and Aim data functionality. It says to move pin #14 on the small ecu connector to pin #17. Problem is, what do I do with the existing pin in #17? I am guessing those pins are for the headlights or flasher or something not needed for a racebike, but I need to be sure before I hack into the ecu harness.

#21 ·
Aim stuff is fantastic. Very supported in the country. I got the dash mounted today and a bunch of more TI and aluminum bolts put on. More odds and ends then anything. I had a sheet of carbon fiber so that's what I used for the dash bracket. I'm going to pull it off tomorrow and take pics of that and also make another couple of them to bring as spares. I may be making them out of aluminum this time though as I hate itching because of CF. plus, I made the mount so you can't see it anyway so the carbon isn't even much of a bling aspect. Also made the data download connector mount in it.
Technology Auto part Personal protective equipment Vehicle Photography
Vehicle Auto part Cockpit Windshield Car

Tomorrow I'm going to put these sprocket bolts in two of my sprocket hubs instead of the studs and nuts. I've had two studs come loose this far and one left me with a chewed up swingarm so I'm changing them out asap. I got SS bolts, but think I'm regretting it now. I'm probably going to return these and get all my Cush drives in TI bolts.... It's gonna cost a ton as I have like 5 Cush drives with each bike. And there's 3 bikes not including the r1's and rain bike.

Both my r1's with YEC have the rectifier mounted where your saying by the LHS of the engine. I may look into that more. I like that idea, and it works for the r1. Who knows. I may leave it too. More updates tomorrow!

#22 ·
Anyone know where to get titanium engine mount bolts? The long ones that are on the rear of the engine. There's two of them. Those two bolts alone would make the bike lighter then it is now with the hundred other small titanium bolts. Probolt doesn't make anything that big.

How about the dogbone bolts? I have the shock bolts but not the dog bones.

#35 ·
I just got my custom Ti axles and swing arm swinger axle, along with the matching Ti bolts. Everything was then gold anodized.

The pieces were made by Peter of Ti64.co.uk. He is amazingly talented, and the parts are works of art. I almost hate to install them and cover them up.

Again, the amount spent for any performance gained on these parts is insane. However, I have always wanted Ti axles, and these are truly amazing.

I will post some installed pictures later today. Enjoy.

I remember this post from the ex graves build

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/165-bike-build-forum/304354-ex-graves-bike-rebuild-22.html

#30 ·
Harbor freight special!! Actually works really nicely. Foot actuated. Hydraulic pump is all it is. Everything except wheels comes pre assembled. Has two turn key things on one end to level it. Comes with a wheel chock but I left that off. Fits pit Bull front and rear stands with one inch clearance. I didn't want a bike stand to fall off so it comes with an U bolt for the wheel chock(that I'm not using). This u bolt fits perfectly over the diameter of the pit bull stand. I drilled a hole in front and directly behind the rear stand, pop the u bolt in, handle tight a nut on it and your done. No worries at all.

Or you can spend like 1500$ or more on a longer one, which gets annoying IMO. This fits awesome. Only complaint is the weight. It's ridiculously heavy. I will not be taking to the races.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.