Doc-Ram's R3 race build - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 147 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
AFM #723

Bike: 08R6, 16R3, 15R3, 07 150R
Doc-Ram's R3 race build

Hey y'all

This thread will document some/most of what I'm doing to build my R3 for the race season

Bought a brand new 2016 R3 and put ~100 miles on the street before turning it into track/race only mode.

First up: Oil and filter change

Next set of mods:

Performance:
1. Akrapovic full exhaust (from Norton Fab)
2. Smog block-off plates
3. Eliminate pesky emissions stuff (charcoal canister)
4. Bazzaz Z-Fi
5. Annitori QS (stand alone unit controlling injectors)
6. BMC air filter

Chasis:
1. Andreani fork cartridge kit
2. Ohlins rear shock

Controls:
1. Norton fab rearset relocation plates V1 (coz I like my feet higher up)
2. Clipons relocated to below the top triple clamp

Brakes:
1. SS braided lines
2. Vesrah brake pads

Protection: (Bauce Racing)
1. Woodcraft case saver
2. Woodcraft frame sliders
3. Woodcraft rear spools (rear axle slider?)

Bodywork:
1. Armor bodies SS body work (Bauce Racing)
2. Paint to be done by MotoGloss

Others:
I'll have to see what else I bought, lol

I didnt take any pics in the stock form...just google the 2016 R3 in matte gray, haha

AFM #723
2017 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
AFM #723

Re: Doc-Ram's R3 race build

Exhaust

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bazzaz Z-Fi

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Annitori QS - Setup for GP shift pattern

Emissions crap removed and block-off plates installed

AFM #723
2017 Sponsors:

post #3 of 147 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
AFM #723

Fork cartridge kit installed by local shop Hare motorsports

Mounted the forks flush with the top triple. Will let Dave Moss setup the geometry and suspension settings on June 5th at the track (Thunderhill)

Relocated the clip-ons below the top triple clamp

Rearsets relocated. Sadly, I could not get the rear brake reservoir mounted correctly, so zip tied it for now. Will work on that later (no pics yet)

Starting to mount the race bodywork. Should not have started with the tail first :|

I was real confused how this $hit mounts on as it was pretty tight. Glad I found Jesse' site (
) and his useful video to mount the tail.

I still cant get the tail mounted with the seat ....most likely will cut out some bodywork with a dremmel to make space to take the seat ON/OFF without needing to take the tail off. Its quite a PITA to mount the tail

AFM #723
2017 Sponsors:

post #4 of 147 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
AFM #723

Paint ideas for bodywork

Some ideas for paint scheme ...one of my colleagues was helping with PhotoShop on this

AFM #723
2017 Sponsors:

post #5 of 147 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 10:50 AM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

Coming along nicely. I like the paint scheme in the top/right.

What's your plan for tires?

post #6 of 147 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
AFM #723

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS OWN 6 View Post
Coming along nicely. I like the paint scheme in the top/right.

What's your plan for tires?
I got some take-offs from a RC390 - Pirelli Diablo street tires for $50, for now till I get comfortable with the bike and start upping my pace. For racing, maybe go with the Pirelli race DOT tires.

I think I'm smitten to this scheme....I'll place the Sun/Moon decals in a different spot though

AFM #723
2017 Sponsors:

post #7 of 147 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:01 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6

Man... I would love to zip around a track on a little bike. I have been contemplating getting a 300 or one of the 390's to race in the ultra light weight classes around here. Its easier on the wallet, just not as much speed!!

Excited for the updates here.

Check out
post #8 of 147 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:26 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2014 R6

Hey doc you gonna be at thunderhill next week?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CVMA #143

instagram shawn3210
post #9 of 147 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
AFM #723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn3210 View Post

June 6/7th I'll be there. June 6th is NRS for AFM this season
Greatly looking forward to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacoBeRacing View Post
Man... I would love to zip around a track on a little bike. I have been contemplating getting a 300 or one of the 390's to race in the ultra light weight classes around here. Its easier on the wallet, just not as much speed!!

Excited for the updates here.
I recommend the 320 parallel twin. The 390 is a great bike but working on it is a PITA I've heard.

Oddly enough, I'm only 5-7s off my best pace on the 300 Vs my R6 at a horsepower track (Thunderhill). I do a consistent 2:15 on the R6 with 2:13-2:14 if I decide to push anytime. On a stock Ninja 250, my best time was 2:20. This track has two long straights and back section that's extremely fast (for me, lol).

I hope to learn a lot more better riding on the 300 and then get back on the R6 to turn in some sub 2:10 lap times soon enough

AFM #723
2017 Sponsors:

post #10 of 147 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
AFM #723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn3210 View Post

Wait...are you Sean or Shawn? I see a name on June 7th in B+ group SeanPe.....is that you?

AFM #723
2017 Sponsors:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.