Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Doc-Ram's R3 race build

23K views 147 replies 26 participants last post by  Doc-Ram 
#1 ·
Hey y'all

This thread will document some/most of what I'm doing to build my R3 for the race season

Bought a brand new 2016 R3 and put ~100 miles on the street before turning it into track/race only mode.

First up: Oil and filter change

Next set of mods:

Performance:
1. Akrapovic full exhaust (from Norton Fab)
2. Smog block-off plates
3. Eliminate pesky emissions stuff (charcoal canister)
4. Bazzaz Z-Fi
5. Annitori QS (stand alone unit controlling injectors)
6. BMC air filter

Chasis:
1. Andreani fork cartridge kit
2. Ohlins rear shock

Controls:
1. Norton fab rearset relocation plates V1 (coz I like my feet higher up)
2. Clipons relocated to below the top triple clamp

Brakes:
1. SS braided lines
2. Vesrah brake pads

Protection: (Bauce Racing)
1. Woodcraft case saver
2. Woodcraft frame sliders
3. Woodcraft rear spools (rear axle slider?)

Bodywork:
1. Armor bodies SS body work (Bauce Racing)
2. Paint to be done by MotoGloss

Others:
I'll have to see what else I bought, lol

I didnt take any pics in the stock form...just google the 2016 R3 in matte gray, haha

See less See more
#3 ·
Fork cartridge kit installed by local shop Hare motorsports

Mounted the forks flush with the top triple. Will let Dave Moss setup the geometry and suspension settings on June 5th at the track (Thunderhill)

Relocated the clip-ons below the top triple clamp

Rearsets relocated. Sadly, I could not get the rear brake reservoir mounted correctly, so zip tied it for now. Will work on that later (no pics yet)

Starting to mount the race bodywork. Should not have started with the tail first :|

I was real confused how this $hit mounts on as it was pretty tight. Glad I found Jesse' site (Yamaha R3 Racing - Home - YamahaR3Racing.com) and his useful video to mount the tail.

I still cant get the tail mounted with the seat ....most likely will cut out some bodywork with a dremmel to make space to take the seat ON/OFF without needing to take the tail off. Its quite a PITA to mount the tail

#9 ·
June 6/7th I'll be there. June 6th is NRS for AFM this season :YEA Greatly looking forward to that

Man... I would love to zip around a track on a little bike. I have been contemplating getting a 300 or one of the 390's to race in the ultra light weight classes around here. Its easier on the wallet, just not as much speed!!

Excited for the updates here.
I recommend the 320 parallel twin. The 390 is a great bike but working on it is a PITA I've heard.

Oddly enough, I'm only 5-7s off my best pace on the 300 Vs my R6 at a horsepower track (Thunderhill). I do a consistent 2:15 on the R6 with 2:13-2:14 if I decide to push anytime. On a stock Ninja 250, my best time was 2:20. This track has two long straights and back section that's extremely fast (for me, lol).

I hope to learn a lot more better riding on the 300 and then get back on the R6 to turn in some sub 2:10 lap times soon enough

#13 ·
Wassup foo......where u been?

Got some more progress ...upper and front fender mounted, pretty straight forward. Just took my time to line everything up first, then drill. The holes I went up in diameter step by step so I dont make them too large.

Used the same mounting grommets/bushings for the front fender.

I am impressed with the hole alignments right out of the box for Armor Bodies bodywork. They are flexible and makes the fitting a breeze. The rear tail....thats another story. I still cant get the seat installed, so I'll get the dremmel out :laugh

Edit: Forgot to add: I used the stock windscreen as is, didn't need any modification or trimming with the armor bodies bodywork

#17 ·
looking sharp, I have the R3 and the KTM 390. KTM is broken down again.... The R3 was a good choice it will be a solid performer and have much less issues. Get the suspension dialed in and it should be faster than the 390 depending whos the pilot. Been enjoying my R6 in the mean time.

#24 ·
couple of pics of finished bodywork mounting....next up is 4 days at the track (june 6/7 and June 11/12), then bodywork will be off to paint

Took it for a test spin yesterday around the block...brakes are WOW...much better than my Ninja 250. Sadly, I forgot to tighten my left clipon...as soon as I braked hard, the clipon slipped forward almost making me crash :(

Now I'm left to wonder what else I didn't tighten well.....remains to be checked.

More pics to come soon...

#25 ·
Geez. That would have sucked to go down for something dumb like that!

BTW... Since it seems like everyone else is doing it, we're joining the little bike club. On my lunch break today I bought a Ninja 300 for Colleen. I can't wait to try it out on the track! Maybe we can even ride them together sometime soon. *cough*LagunaSecaAugust5th*cough* :sing

:D

#28 ·
damn Ram, that's a lot of shit you're putting into that bike... i like that last paint scheme you posted there. can't wait to see the final product. :) ok, have fun and be safe out there buddy...

man, when i come back to the track next year, i'm gonna be playing catch up with you there.

#30 ·
:laugh....I'll still be slow man, but I'm trying to get faster. I can see it mentally now, just need to put it out on the track (like trail braking, lines, corner entry etc)

I'll get a pic up tomorrow. I couldn't bring it home today because I still haven't unloaded the R6s from this past weekend. :laugh

I guess that's a good excuse to not ride. I might be back up north later this year. Let's Ride is going to T-Hill on Thanksgiving weekend. Not sure yet if I will be able to go, but it's a possibility.
Pics of R6 on truck or :BS :lmao

Just checked my tickets, I'll be back on 3rd....I need to book at spot at Laguna with LetsRide.....just need to ask for another vacation day :eek5

#33 ·
:laugh It actually doesn't say anything. I'm keeping it incognito.

I can't get you a spot any more than telling you to get signed up before it sells out. I just learned that they're going to do B+/B-/C groups that day. Of course I'll ride the 300 with you. That'll be awesome! I'm going to be coaching that day too, so I'm actually supposed to be out on track a lot in all the groups whenever Colleen isn't riding. And that means I get my choice of bikes. :D

Oh... and here's what the van looked like when I got home today.

#34 ·
Nice van :fact I'd like to buy one eventually, maybe skip on buying the 3rd bike and get a Van instead

I'll signup soon. PM me if you can somehow get me any discount code please

On topic now: Got in touch with Anthony @Bauce Racing

Bought the Woodcraft key eliminator harness and 41mm 1.5inch riser clip-ons. Also, Armor Bodies has a new design on the rear tail which I didnt get. Current design is one-piece and is total crap for mounting. New design is a 2-piece design that'll mount up a lot easier. I'll get a good deal on that eventually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.