Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

My R6's restoration and new look....

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Ryan Gash 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy gents, so some of you may have caught the last thread I posted up about my newly acquired 2004 YZF-R6 in team blue. Absolutely adore the bike but it needed some work to get it to where I was happy with it mechanically and aesthetically. This was always my dream bike, and I always had a theme in mind that I wanted to carry out once i got my hands on one. So....here is my progress so far.

The day it was picked up, mangled fenders (half spray painted) plasti-dipped rear wheel (which turned into goop - terrible to remove) all fluids in dire need of changing, hardware missing, R/R harness burnt to bits, bad battery, wiring all sorts of ****ed up etc. etc.

First round of the restoration, mirrors, ran a new harness and relocated the R/R under the seat for better airflow and other misc. tasks.

Found a discontinued blue Icon Airmada helmet in Canada that I was convinced would match the bike and purchased it at a premium. My luck paid off...

Started breaking the bike down

Cleaned and re-greased the bike. Started carrying out the color scheme...This is VHT gold enamel. Progressive sanding, 3 coats of high temp primer, 4 coats of color and 3 coats of clear. Very good finish after some wetsanding.

Rearsets & linkage on

Rotor carriers painted.

All fluids changed and bled, mostly reassembled.

At this point in the reassembly process it was dark, didn't have a chance to clean it up. Will be doing a full paint restoration to all of the new(ish) pretty fairings! New turn signals and some other bits. Still waiting on a lot of various parts to go along with the theme like seat cowl, gold lettering, levers and grips etc etc.

At this point here are the current mods on the (almost) finished product.
  • Power comander
  • Custom tune
  • Yoshi Tri-Oval shortened
  • Adjustable levers
  • Vortex -1/+1 sprocket conversion
  • Braided SS brake lines
  • Fender Eliminator
  • Integrated Tail

Looking forward to finishing up the project and snapping some better pictures!

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks great!

Id love to see you carry on the decal from the tank onto the fairings.

The shade of gold you used looks awesome!

#5 ·
Thanks boys - here are the updated pics. She got a new rear rotor, besides tank grips and stuff - shes done. Runs and rides like a dream :)

You can kind of see the gold lettering i did here (the seat cowl isnt nearly that off in terms of color. While its not perfect, the angle and light exaggerate it pretty heavily) The reflectors were only on for inspection.

And yea i spent like 2 hours taping up the tires to absolute perfection before painting lol.

#9 ·
Damm dude you got some serious skills lol...i have painted my own plastics too...went from white to red and it came out flawlessly...but if i can paint my rims red to perfection too...aww man lol...i need decals too...hmm what brand of paint did you use? Is it straight from yamaha dealer? Did you used a pressure paint gun as well? I have an air compressor with pressure tools but i have yet to buy the paint gun >_<.

I'm starting to get some ideas for my wheels now after this lol...i was gonna have them plasti-dipped but this looks much better...good job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.