Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

MILSPEC Racing R6 Build

8K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  Crescent1101 
#1 ·
So I currently race a 2013 ZX10r but I just bought a 2009 Yamaha R6 to race this year in WERA and FMRRA. If CCS will change some of their rules I will probably race with them too.

If you want to check out some of my race videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/Crescent1101) also you can follow me on instagram (https://www.instagram.com/milspecracing/).

So the bike is in rough shape but I plan to completely rebuild and refresh. Currently the motor has 21k miles but runs strong and had some tasteful mods.

Mods:
-Ohlins 30mm Catridges
-Ohlins TTX GP rear shock
-Ohlins Steering Damper
-Vortex Engine Covers
-Vortex Clip-ons
-Votex Rear sets
-Vortex Keyless Gas Cap
-Vortex 520 Chain Kit
-Vortex levers
-PC5 with Quickshifter
-Flashed ECU (looking into what was done)
-MJS headers w/GYTR slip on (already replaced)
-Crappy Hotbodies Race Fairings (Trashed them)
-Vesrah RJL brake pads (Vesrah or die!)

I have a lot of plans for this bike and work to make it pretty. I have already bought a Yoshimura Full Exhaust, Optimal Race Fairings, Zero Gravity Windscreen.

The bike is currently sitting at Pro-Line Race Prep in Lake City getting some love. If you are in Florida hands down the best place to take a bike. Also can't wait to start repping Mark Tenn Motorsports. Mark can hook you on Michelin race tires in the South East and will help make you faster.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I have a lot of plans for this bike and work to make it pretty. I have already bought a Yoshimura Full Exhaust, Optimal Race Fairings, Zero Gravity Windscreen.
The bike is currently sitting at Pro-Line Race Prep in Lake City getting some love. If you are in Florida hands down the best place to take a bike. Also can't wait to start repping Mark Tenn Motorsports. Mark can hook you on Michelin race tires in the South East and will help make you faster.
sorry to read you chose Proline. I dont consider someone a "pro" when they cant afford to have a dedicated shop especially in a po dunk town like Lake City FL. THere is a shop in Lake City thats worthy & its not Proline. :frown:

You will learn soon enough. Im curious how you crossed paths with Proline?

For those at home... this place hangs around Jennings GP & offers "track side" tuning. Well because its a 30 minute drive from his home.
He will try to sell you the world with technical terms. (adamant manic behavior) But has a trail of disappointing business deals & stocks ZERO parts. Will send you paypal requests to order oil filters or cam chain tensioner. :serious:

#6 ·
How is Pro-Line Prep not a shop? You must not have been in the racing community for long. If you talk about built motors he is one of the top 3 in the South East. He has a three part shop with a in house dyno and he working on getting his paint booth up and running. Don't be spreading bad rumors when you don't know anything.

He is not a normal motorcycle shop that carriers everything because he would lose money. His main focus is building engines, suspension, and getting the bike set up for racing. Vinnie hooks racers up with advice and experience that most people don't have. Vinnie will even pack up his truck and have track side support to get your bike running the best it can.

Attachments

#7 ·
How is Pro-Line Prep not a shop? You must not have been in the racing community for long. If you talk about built motors he is one of the top 3 in the South East. He has a three part shop with a in house dyno and he working on getting his paint booth up and running. Don't be spreading bad rumors when you don't know anything.
He is not a normal motorcycle shop that carriers everything because he would lose money. His main focus is building engines, suspension, and getting the bike set up for racing. Vinnie hooks racers up with advice and experience that most people don't have. Vinnie will even pack up his truck and have track side support to get your bike running the best it can.
how long have you had a "race" license? Top 3 shops of who? He is a hack compared to Livengood, KWS, or Marietta.
Tell me which racers he "hooks" up? With what advice?? :confused::confused::confused:

Also is he listed with Dynojet as an approved tuning center??? Ill wait for that answer...lol :kiss:

Sounds to me like he sold you the undercoating & the lifetime warranty...lol.

FYI "normal" performance oriented motorcycle shops have inventory stock of popular motorcycle parts.
Stocking $100 worth of filters or common maintenance items is not much of a capital investment for a "shop" that wants to have "pro" in its name. Also pro builders dont invoice through paypal or are insolvent enough they cant afford $200 worth of shop supplies.

Would you like me to list specific incidents where he failed to deliver on a promise or 5? Where it cost people REAL $$$$ and time. He is just looking for the next ignorant sucker & with all due respect, it sounds like he found one. :wink:

#9 ·
Making some progress. Having to sort through the bike and figure out what is all wrong with it. The Optimal Fairings I ordered were crap. If I wasn't on a time crunch I would send them back and get Armor Bodies. Picture is of my Ohlins getting a refresh.

Attachments

#12 ·
Not really a downgrade. R6s have plenty of power for racing. Bigger isn't always better. I have probably have had more fun on my CRF450R Supermoto. The ZX10r is a fun bike but it eats tires and not as many people racing 1000s. I have always wanted to race a Yamaha R6.

#19 ·
So far the bike has been a battle. Both forks were low on oil. One of my outer forks tubes was bent and a couple other issues popped up. Bodywork is in the paint booth and the bike is currently getting tuned.

Attachments

#21 ·
Upper had a kink, they are really heavier, Too think in some areas for Dzuz, and they aren't holding paint well. If you get a set sand the hell out of them until you get their crap primer off and then prime them yourself. I would recommend Armor Bodies.

#23 ·
Here is some more updates! Can't wait to test the bike on the track it will be a a whole new bike when its done. Still have some work on the dyno. Tuner wants to get a spare ECU and try a different flash. He is messing with the AFRs to try to get over the 8-9.5k RPM. We will see how it goes after some on track testing.

Attachments

#26 ·
Picked up my bike from Lake City, FL from Proline Prep. Bike turned out great.

That Friday I loaded up my bike and headed down to PBIR to race. Wish I would have had a trackday to dial the bike in. I was hunting down the right gearing and suspension settings all day. Wasn't the fastest but I did run a 1:28 that day. I finished 5th in Superbike and 9th in Superstock.

Attachments

#30 ·
I got really bored so I took some pictures of my bikes together before my ZX10r sold.

Attachments

#31 ·
Well got my decal kit mostly installed at PBIR. Then my charging system decided to go out so I only got 4 laps in. Tried fixing it track side but it melted the plug on the regulator.

Attachments

#34 ·
Had a great weekend with Legacy Trackdayz. Dialed in the bike a little more. Going through my video and trying to figure out where I can improve. My Plus Racing suit turned out great. I'm super excited for my next race!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.