2009 R6 Track Bike - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Garage
2009 R6 Track Bike

Hey all,

I bought a 2009 R6 in 2015 to use for the track. Since October 2015, I've been converting it from stock to a mild mannered track bike. Not too interested in outright power or speed, but I want it to slide better when it goes down. I've never posted anything about it here, but I sure have gotten a lot of good info from you folks. Prob put some pics of the build on here and use this to document some of the changes I've made since.

Details already on my web site:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ih574; 01-20-2017 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Signature change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Initial Build

Here are some of the things I've done to the bike since purchase in July 2015 and dedicating it to the track:
  • MJS Exhaust with the stock (EXUP) slipon
  • Power Commander 5 with Autotune
  • Graves Smog Blockoffs
  • K&N Filter
  • GPR4 Steering Stabilizer
  • Galfer GP Stainless Front Brake Lines
  • Galfer G1375 Sintered Pads
  • Woodcraft Frame Sliders
  • ETI Fuel Tank Sliders
  • Optimal Racing Body

Most of that was just to get the stock plastics off. It started with the new track body, but the stock exhaust wouldn't fit. So got the header. But then I needed to correct the fueling, so got the PC5. Which required a dyno tune or at least an Autotune. Both of these required smog block off plates. And I should at least change the air filter.

The rest was for protection - of the bike and me. Sliders, better brakes (way better brakes!!!!) and the stabilizer.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Before and After

The R6 started as a garden variety, used 2009 R6. I think it is called Raven. Black with gold wheels and decals.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here it is after the initial build in Oct 2015:

r-

ih574
2009 R6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2016 Changes

During 2016, the R6 went to the track a good bit. Mostly Summit Point and NCBike. During that time, I made a few little updates:
  • Stompgrip Tank Pads
  • Bauce Racing ECU Flash

The ECU Flash was fantastic in terms of ridability, throttle response, and overall performance. Anthony from Bauce Racing also corrected most of the slightly warm idle problem I have had since adding the Power Commander.

While updating my slowly developing track skills, I also added some personal safety stuff, i.e., a Hit-Air vest. Meanwhile, I went through three sets of tires. I probably could have squeezed some more life out of them, but figured I would error on the safe side.

One day I might paint the body or put some decals on it. Maybe just stripe it. Or maybe do nothing. It works fine as is.

r-

ih574
2009 R6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ih574; 01-21-2017 at 01:29 AM.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Vortex Rearsets

I thought it may be good to get my feet a little further up above the asphalt since I drag my toes every once in a while. Not because I am fast or leaning way over. Usually, my big ole size 12 boot finds itself pointing too far down. I've mostly figured that out, but found a good deal on some new Vortex V2 Rearsets and, since they look pretty cool and are very grippy, I thought I'd add them to the build.

Install requires a good bit of rework or compromise on some basic stock functions. Brake fluid reservoir needs to be relocated or replaced by the hose-only option, no brake return spring, and the brake line, which is now too long, has to be rerouted. Most complicated was the brake reservoir relocation.

Here are the problems all laid out. Note the homemade brake return spring over the master cylinder. I thought that was pretty clever and then found that like everyone that wants a brake return spring does the same thing.

I have the pegs installed at highest, farthest back position. That may make it all a bit tougher. I fabbed a new bracket for the brake reservoir. And I found a purpose built brake return spring by Woodcraft. That was a bit cleaner than my washers and weed eater spring, so I sprung for that (get it??).

Here is the bracket I fabbed from 1/8 x 1 1/4 aluminum stock. It simply raises the location of the reservoir using the same bolt hole as the stock bracket.

Here is the new, painted reservoir bracket mounted up and the Woodcraft replacement return spring in place.

Gear shift side went on ok. Except I have to figure out what grease applicator works for that tiny little fitting on the rod end / heim joint.

r-

ih574
2009 R6

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:34 AM
My 09 R6

Bike: 2009 YAMAHA R6
Re: Initial Build

Nice mods on your bike!

FAB13
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:14 PM
My R6 eats me.

Re: 2009 R6 Track Bike

Great mods man keep it up
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks guys. Hope to be a more regular contributor, even after I hit my 10 post minimum to see URLs and images in people's signatures.

r-

ih574
2009 R6

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:12 PM
Need funds for fun

Bike: '06 R6

Awesome thread and cool details on that website. Def subscribing to this thread. Good luck on clip ons

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Clip On Replacement

So I saw the video that showed up on this site during December 2016 about the guy who crashed cause one of his OEM clip ons broke going into a turn. I figure that was a one-off, but it created just enough doubt for me to go get some new clip ons. Yeah, I know I could apply that logic to everything on the bike.

I bought some Renthals, thinking the markings on them would make it easy to get them even on both sides. As I was checking the fit, I discovered the spring clip on the stock clutch lever may interfere with the Renthal Fork Clamp. The Renthal Fork Clamp is pretty bulky where the bar fits in, because it has to make room for the two bar bolts. So I am exchanging them for Woodcrafts. The Woodcrafts have a pretty low profile Fork Clamp so the stock clutch spring clip will fit.

Renthals

Stock

So now waiting on the Woodcrafts. These updates (rearsets and clip ons) are turning out like the track body - changing one thing creates a chain reaction leading to changes of a bunch of other things. I know its fun and all, but where does it stop? The bank wants to know.
Flyers28 likes this.

r-

ih574
2009 R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.