Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

mercenary's - 2009 track build

40K views 274 replies 44 participants last post by  YamaBluR6 
#1 · (Edited)
With the winter approaching I guess I'll hop on the trend of making a build thread. In March I bought my first sportbike, a 2010, off the showroom floor rode it all summer hoping one day I'd be able to get out to a track. About two months ago I was able to pick up a cosmetic damaged 2009 for the wife to eventually ride some and to be a dedicated track bike for me. Next season I plan on entering the MCRA series at both Putnam and Heartland Park.

Over the winter I want to get plastics for it, tire warmers, a front stand, brake overhaul, and I guess I should look into a damper. I've kinda been looking at the kevlar covers to protect the tank too.

Any suggestions or opinions of what/where to buy are more than welcome as this will be my first track build and my limited track experience.

See less See more
#248 ·
Update: had 3 trackdays so far on the 250 in a mix of control riding and playing around. This thing is a blast to ride, all 28hp of it.

Got the chance to take out a mentor's expert built 2nd gen SV650 which seems too big and bulky to ride as well as it did. The extra power and smell of race fuel exhaust made me miss the R6 even more....gotta get debt paid down and get it rebuilt for next year. :(

#251 ·
Don't own them, built the bike after someone totaled it on the street, needs clip ons, exhaust and fairings. Bill's have kept me from racing or even riding much this year so I've been content with control riding on the 250. Rebuild of the r6 is coming this winter.

#254 ·
Making progress on the rebuild....finally

The harness and tank should be here in the next couple of days, then I can make sure the motor still runs, if so then it just needs body work and a stay

Attachments

#256 ·
Gotta figure out what I'm missing and how a piece connects, if anyone can get a pic of their bare tail. I know I'm missing the tip sensor and something else and don't know how the relay is wired

Attachments

#267 ·
No cords showing...shit, you had at least 3 more track days in that thing!

:lmao

#268 ·
Even going light around right turns it was sliding all over. Given my last off, that's kinda tempting fate to keep pushing it considering I was only out there to burn the rest of the tire off while control riding the intermediate group.

#269 ·
Winter Plan: replace some broken and worn parts on the R6 and put body work (which is already on it's way) and maybe some clip ons onto the 250.

Think this is the first year I'll not have to replace or repair an entire bike over the winter. :party

Helps because I need to pay down alot of debt from race seasons. Hope by the spring to be debt free other than my house and my truck.

Fresh oil in the bikes for the winter.

Hopefully I get to a Jennings trackday or maybe one in Texas.

#271 ·
Can't imagine how sketchy of a ride that would have been to do that to the tire. Mine was bad enough that it was acting like there was water on the track at relatively little lean angle.

#273 ·
Didn't realize it's been this long since an update....

250: the belly pan never was able to fit and we found out the steering stem was bent from the previous owner's crash on the street. The bike is sitting for now waiting for a replacement frame.

R6: just got a fresh Pirelli 180/60 R 17 SC1 slick for a race on the 23/24th which will be my first races since i crashed in 2013.

Finances: was wanting to be debt free by this point other than the house and truck, I now have house, truck, credit card, and new trailer :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.