Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Official "GP Style Shifting" count

6K views 76 replies 54 participants last post by  DTcrew4 
#1 ·

Counting how many of us here has their 6 on GP style shifting.

I haven't rode exactly 1 yr this month. I rode GP style shift before. I bought another r6(new) this monday evening. I rode the bike 17 miles from 0 miles fresh off the dealers. Soon as I woke up the next morning i switched it to GP style shifting which literally took me less than 5 minutes. Free mod FTMFW! :cool:

Big difference on how fast and smooth shifting through the gears from regular to GP style.

But for you noobs that wants to do this here is the How To: Link
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26694&highlight=gp+style

But you don't have to take out the mid fairing. Just unscrew the lower bolt of the mid fairing. After that its 2 bolts on the shifter, flip it and tighten the screws back on. :toocool:

#4 ·
so thats ^ #3

#10 ·

#12 · (Edited)
GP Shift is overrated in my opinion.. yes, upshifts are easier, but a false neutral will turn your entire day to crap. Downshifts are easier with standard shift and you are much less likely to get a false neutral. Saying upshifts are easier with gp is not really a valid argument to make the change because the downshifts will not be as positive.

If you like it and don't have issues? great! There is the benefit of easier upshifts, especially the occasional corner you need to upshift still leaned over. But do NOT buy into the "i have to gp shift" if you are considering riding at the track. I will agree gp shift is more the "norm" for racing, but is not 100% across the board. Some noteworthy racers used standard shift, namely Matt Mladin and Troy Bayliss (so i have read, i never asked them..lol).

I ride/race dirt bikes 20 hours a month, and have roadraced almost a decade with standard. I can gp shift when i ride on endurance teams with bikes set up for it, but i prefer standard.
IF you are gonna switch to gp shift, i suggest riding your street bike for a week or more with it that way BEFORE you go to the track. If you downshift when you were supposed to upshift, the rev limiter will not help, the rpms could go above the rev limit, and valves can float causing them to make contact with the pistons. Or, the rider behind you might run into you as you suddenly slow .. or you crash when you do this in a corner partly leaned over. (these are the worst things).
So practice before you go to the track and put yourself and others in danger .. :)

#13 ·
Thi is just an observation on my part as I do not ride. When you are upshifting you are most likely in a full tuck or hanging off in the corner where it seems to tap down on the shifter would be more natural and less awkward. Whereas when you are downshifting the majority of the time you are sitting more upright preparing to corner, where the lifting of the shifter would seem less awkward.
Again jmo and as Greg stated, personal preference rules.

#16 ·
Yup just flip the shit rod link thing 180*

#35 ·
I bent my OE shift arm and flipped the lever on the motor for free..... Before I switched to aftermarket rearsets. I'll post a pic up when I get home from work.

#20 ·
GP as well... Been that way for years...

#21 · (Edited)
I've been considering the GP shift on my 05, but it is my understanding the standard shift rod will now work due to it passing through the frame.

I plan to upgrade my rearsets, and will most likely give GP shift a try. The only bike I've ridden with GP shift is my roommate's Daytona 675. I took to it naturally, but this was light riding through town. I'm sure there would be an adjustment period before I would really want to push on GP shift.

#23 ·
Also GP shift here. Have been for a few years.

I actually asked the dealer to flip the rod for me while prepping my R1 when I picked it up back in 2010. They said they had no idea what I was talking about, so I went back to the garage and asked for the allen wrech that fit then flipped that shyt myself before I even left the parking lot.

The VERY FEW times that I've had my bike at the shop I have had to put a BIG piece of masking tape across my tank saying UPSIDE DOWN SHIFT PATTERN. Because the one time I didn't do that, some ass clown mechanic couldnt understand why my bike kept bogging down and stalling in "first gear" haha. 'Tard

#24 ·
GP as well. Loving it

#28 ·
I always thought that. but its not hard to start in 2nd..

#32 ·
The count is to 18 right now. So next person who post they have GP shift is #19.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.