Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Wrong master cylinder or...?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MELK-MAN 
#1 · (Edited)
So I finished fitting my new shorty levers today and when I took the old OEM ones off I noticed they had been ground down on the part that engages the front master cylinder plunger. The original levers say R6 on them, and appear to be correct for an '03. Well when I fit the new levers they were pushing the plunger down quite a bit to the point the brakes were dragging. When I compared the levers I realized I would have to take off about 5mm or more to make them match the originals. It looks like the original levers and the new ones needed about the same amount of material removed to keep from engaging the master cylinder, so is this thing off a different bike or what? It says "3" then "Nissin" on it and appears the same as what I have seen in pictures for an '03. Is there anywhere I can look on it for a serial number or any distinguising marks? Should I look for a used '05+ master cylinder? Or maybe upgrade to an aftermarket one since this will be used as a track bike? I really don't like the idea of coming into the first turn on the track at 150+ mph with brakes I had to rig up...

#6 ·
why do you guys like shorty levers?? personally, i think the feel sucks .. and you have less leverage meaning you have to PULL HARDER than an OEM or race length lever. With the stock length, you can move the master cylinder inward, away from the grip a bit. This has 2 benefits. 1: more leverage 2: less damage in a fall as it's in further.
Shorty levers, never ever understood that thing but the cash in selling them.
Especially if you are track riding/racing, Leave the stock lever on there.

IF you really wanna upgrade your OEM newer R6 radial master cyl and brake system? Get the GP tech adjustable setup with folding lever. http://www.gptechllc.com/products/gp-tech/levers

#7 · (Edited)
I personally like the feel of the shorter levers. I understand your point about moving stuff further inward though. I am leaning toward Shermoto levers, but lets see what kind of price he can get them shipped to S. Korea for. As far as the RCS19, all of the info I could find on here and other forums pointed toward the 19 as being way too touchy on 2nd gens.

#8 ·
the stock/OEM brembo mc from the 05 and later bikes are very very good.. you don't need anything else. Even most AMA pro's don't use aftermarket master cylinders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.