Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

R1-Forum.com / R6-forum.com 2006 DEALS GAP Convention

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  bykelife 
#1 ·
R1-Forum.com / R6-forum.com 2006 DEALS GAP Convention

TIMES TO REMEMBER :

Almost a week has gone by since I made the somber voyage home. Rolling out of Fontana Village and to the Cross Roads for a last lunch with all of our friends is a sad time to say the least. Some of my best friends in the world gather at “The Dragon” for the convention every year and this year proved to be the MOST incredible gathering yet! Before I continue lets have a brief moment to pay respects to our good friend K_FleXXX …….. Rest in peace Kelly Brown, We miss you!

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE COMPLETE ARTICLE !

See less See more
#2 ·
The quick run down of the 2006 Deals Gap Convention: The 2006 Convention was an incredible success. Highlights of this years event:

• Yamaha Motors Corporation Sponsored Steak Dinner.
  • McCoy Motorsports unveiled custom R1 show bike built for Yamaha.
  • Yamaha Motor execs show up with surveys and BIG prizes!
  • 2 Wheel Tuner Magazine uses Yamaha’s show bike for there next cover bike.
  • Speed TV begins filming an episode of Superbikes on McCoy Motorsports and shows up to film the entire gap event.
  • Some of the best scenery and riding in the world!
  • R1-forum.com / R6-forum.com takes over Fontana lake on a forum sponsored HOUSE BOAT!
  • The biggest prize giveaways EVER!

200-300 R1 and R6’s at the same place. What an incredible time!

Sunday June 11, 2006 I awoke at 2 am, 4 am, and 7 am each time with something else going through my mind. Is the Yamaha bike ready, do I have everything packed, everyone will GO CRAZY when Speed Vision shows up, are the kids packed, what’s left to do?

(Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, snap out of it! It’s Deals Gap and words just can’t explain what we are in store for!)

It was a typical Monday morning at McCoy Motorsports, so much to do and load and pack things up and in between it all take care of business. The task of loading all the bikes and heading out was finally finished about 5:30 pm and we rolled out! The 5 hour trip usually takes about 6- 6.5 hours especially when you are navigating “The Dragon” at night with a trailer and caravan of bikes. All in all the trip wasn’t that bad and when we pulled in ……… Well:

THAT’S WHEN THE FUN BEGINS!

We pulled in about 12 midnight with sleeping kids and the streets were bare. We looked ahead only to find “Philly” the crazy Canadian laying on the ground in the middle of Shuckshack Road! I was told he was passed out and as I looked to my left I saw one of Greenville’s finest “GPD270” passed out as well. Never one to pass up an own-age opportunity I began pouring some RED BULL beverage onto Scott, that’s all it TOOK! We began hearing laughing, chuckling and screaming from EVERYWHERE! Scott took off running and about 75 – 100 forum members begin coming out of the woodwork. The GATHERING of PLAYERS had begun! I could here the familiar laughing of “GaWarrior” in the background as we gathered up the crew and got our stuff up to the top of the hill and unloaded. As about 20 of us were getting stuff unloaded from the Tahoe and getting the trailer situated I could just tell this is what it’s ALL ABOUT! We talked about engaged in beers, placing faces with screen names and “cut downs” galore into the night.

Tuesday morning: Small groups of 8-10 took off in waves. Everyone with different “TO-DO” lists. We told the girls to meet us at the Cross Roads for lunch and we took off! A few laps up to the “overlook” and back was all it took to bring the gap back into focus. Everywhere you looked was R1 and R6’s. The small squadrons of groups were riding everywhere. Around 1 pm we met up with everyone for lunch at the CROT and wives and kids discussing what to do next.

One of the coolest things about going to deals gap and Fontana Village is all the stuff there is to do there for families and kids. A short list I could name off the top of my head includes:

• Miniature golf
  • Horseback riding
  • Water Slide park
  • Baseball
  • Nature trails
  • 4 Wheeler Trails
  • Fishing
  • Swimming (in-door and out-door pools)
  • Crafts
  • Boat rentals
  • Jet Ski rentals

And so much more! I’m 100% sure my wife and kids love this place as much as WE DO!

We spent the rest of Tuesday riding into the night. This year we took dinners each night to a NEW level! Everyone paid a set fee for dinners each night and we had Fontana Village cater for us! So around 6:30 pm each night everyone gathered for dinner and the socializing would begin.

Wednesday and Thursday were mixed days. A lot of dirt biking and street riding was going on.

The smaller groups of people grew slightly as more people began showing up. We went to a small ORV dirt bike facility outside of Sylva, Tennessee and had a BLAST. The Cherohala Skyway was a SICK run! It provided some awe-inspiring views at an elevation of 8000-9000 square feet! The high light of the mid week MAYHAM was the HOUSE BOAT! We stepped it up a notch big time this year and partied on the lake in style! Ducatiwv’s world famous Matilda Wong’s were in FULL effect along with INTERNATIONAL US / Canada relations taking part into the night.

Friday morning started off early. As I might with world champion ICON sponsored stunt rider Jason Britton and the camera film crew to begin the SUPERBIKES show on McCoy Motorsports. When we began speaking with the producers of Superbikes we really wanted to include the forums event and once they agreed it was on! This year’s event was being filmed for national TV! A few of us got mic’d up with camera and audio and took off for the gap. What a great time filming the gap, cutting up and watching everyone take a new TURN. It seamed we had a few “post whores” develop new skills : “Camera Whoring”. :lol Friday night Superbikes filmed the unveiling of a custom show bike McCoy Motorsports built for Yamaha Motor Corporation and everyone ate and partied into the night!

Saturday we were nearly 300 + forum members, families and friends strong. Different groups took off for white water rafting trip setup by southern118 and the rest along with Superbikes TV took off from the CROSSROADS to the overlook for a group picture. Hired photo GUN: Laura “SNAPZ” did a great job over the weekend. Make sure if you didn’t put in to purchase one of her CD’s of the event! The riding continued for everyone and about 5 pm we met up with 2 Wheel Tuner magazine to bring them the custom built show bike setup for Yamaha Motors for a MODEL bound covers photo shoot! Saturday night’s dinner banquet was sponsored by Yamaha and Fontana Village really knows how to put up on a DINNER! There wasn’t a HUNGRY person there! It’s was steaks galore on the menu. All in all this was a CLASS setup. Thank you Yamaha!

To top off the night one of the most incredible prize giveaways ever! Speed filmed the whole time and even managed to nab a few shots of Wheatman begging for toss outs! :lol Yamaha again stepped up big with an impressive showing for prizes and jackets! The grand prizes included Vanco’s coveted STM slipper clutch and the $2100 in McCoy gift certificates. Again the party went into the night but now with more people then EVER on hand! We even got to participate in a custom Yamaha survey to give our opinions on the R1 and R6, there development and what we would like to see in future Yamaha sport bikes! The rest of the night was spent in retro of the week of the lifetime!

Sunday morning as everyone journeyed home we met up at the Cross Roads for one last luncheon with FRIENDS! See everyone next year. A special thanks to EVERYONE who helped, prize sponsors and all the industry support we receive this year and every year! Get well soon streetjester and RIP K_FleXXX you won’t be forgotten.

#4 ·
wow that looks awesome i want to be there next year! for sure!

#12 ·
SpidermanSS said:
Speed Vision called and said the SUPERBIKES episode that they filmed on McCoy Motorsports / R1-R6 forum convention will now be on July 18th on Speed TV at 9 pm eastern..
hehe, yeah, I saw yer ugly mug on TV...I was like, "Oh shit, there's SHANE!"

#13 ·
does anyone know the dates for next year? I didn't even know about it this year till I got there, and even then my R6 was back in the shop in chicago getting her motor rebuilt! I was on a borrowed F3 :( MAN was I PISSED,,,lol
NEwho I now have my baby (r6) back and would LOVE to come next year !!!

#15 ·
Just got a chance to check out the coverage by Superbikes last night. Looks like you guys had a great time up there. Was up there with my car a year ago. Looking forward to joining you all this coming year on my bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.