Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Break in Period

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  RedlineR6 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I just got my bike this past Sat. It's obviously still in the break-in period. Theres only 220miles on it. Ive heard two contradictory things. That I should keep the RPMs down and that I should ride it hard becuzase itll hgave more horsepower in the end. Should I keep the bike under the recommended 7K RPMs or should I ride it past that so it will ride better after the break in period. What are yalls experience with this.

Pooty

#2 ·
pooty said:
Hey guys. I just got my bike this past Sat. It's obviously still in the break-in period. Theres only 220miles on it. Ive heard two contradictory things. That I should keep the RPMs down and that I should ride it hard becuzase itll hgave more horsepower in the end. Should I keep the bike under the recommended 7K RPMs or should I ride it past that so it will ride better after the break in period. What are yalls experience with this.

Pooty
I just bought a new Yamaha. I broke it in as follows (and the thing runs strong as **** and i feel like it will last me)

*change oil at 300 miles
up to 600 miles keep it under 6,000rpm
*change oil at 600 miles
then up to 700 miles, keep it under 7,000rpm
then up to 800 miles, keep it under 8,000rpm
then up to 900, you get the idea...

I am at around 1250 miles now, and the thing again, runs great!!!

I may change the oil again at 1500, but at 2,000 miles I will change it out with synthetic Mobil1

hope this helps

#4 ·
I did what the manual says to do:

0-600 Miles: Avoid prolonged operation above 7000 RPM's
600-1000 Miles: Avoid prolonged operation above 9000 RPM's

I also took the above instructions to mean:

0-600: Don't operate your bike above 9000 RPM's at all.

So from 0-600 miles I did operate my bike above 7000 RPM's briefly a few times when passing, etc. Then after 600 miles I went over 9000 RPM's briefly a few times. The instructions are just telling you to avoid cruising for long periods above the recomended ranges.

#5 ·
This topic has been mention on this forum a couple of times. When i was doing research on break in's. People have told me that the first 20 miles are the most important. You want to break it in kinda hard to seal everything up good, but then again the oil hasn't yet lub some of the working parts in the engine. You also want to vary your RPMS. Speed up and then slow down. Make sure to do this on the freeway and that there is no one behind you.

When i broke my engine in, I kinda did both. Hard and Soft...so this is really up to you.

#8 ·
http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It's kinda long, but it's worth reading.
I trust this guy is telling the truth, so if I had it to do again, (and I will with my next bike) I will break it in in this manner.
Hard and fast.

but then again the oil hasn't yet lub some of the working parts in the engine.
The oil hits everything in the engine within seconds of starting the bike. It really wouldn't affect breaking it in.

In short, I would break it in just like you ride it, without hitting redline.

#10 ·
TexasR6 said:
The oil hits everything in the engine within seconds of starting the bike. It really wouldn't affect breaking it in.

In short, I would break it in just like you ride it, without hitting redline.
allright you guys try it that way, but I payed close to 10 grand for mine and I really like it. I want it to last more than 10,000 miles.

#11 ·
You pussies. The manual says "prolonged" that means don't hold it at redline for an hour. 3rd and 4th gear good hard pulls with decent amount of engine breaking. The cylinders are nikasil plated, they simply DON'T "break-in". All the bearings need is lube and about 10 miles.

THEE biggest thing is oil change. SOME particles get broken loose while breaking in and get deposited in the oil, so you need to get that shit out.

change oil at 100-200 miles, 500 miles and 1000miles. Then switch to whatever oil you want.

Also, you can run synthetic right away if you want, i just don't do it cause it's expensive and during my breakin i change oil often to keep the engine clean.

NO dealer can decide that an engine has been "broken in too hard", so your warranty would cover anything that might happen. And if something does happen during breakin, their was simply somthing wrong with the engine build.

:gas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.