Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

520 conversion

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  slickyd 
#1 ·
I need a question answered. I want to do the 520 conversion 1down 2up. I know a lot of you have done it. What are the pros and cons. I'm not much for top speed, but I love to corner and hit the backroads. Would I be better just getting the 1down?? Any info would help.Thanks:drink

#6 ·
I have been reading up on this too but Its hard to search about it cause the search wont find "520". But how hard is the install? Is it just the sprockets and chains or is there something else that is needed to be installed. I also know I need to get a speedohealer or something like that.

#8 · (Edited)
What about just going 1down 1up ? You think it'll be better gearing for off track riding? And it is time to change both sprockets and chain out.

I got a speedohealer already, originally bought it cuz I plan on doing the 08 speedo cluster conversion onto my 04. And I'm almost certain its just the sprockets and chain. A pretty simple change.

#7 ·
If your stock chain and sprockets aren't worn out, just grab a 15 tooth front sprocket in OE pitch for $30 and try it out. I've found -1/+2 to be geared too short, but I'm mostly on the track.

#9 ·
DO IT. i just did it and ordered from motomummy. good place to get stuff. Thanks!

but yeah it wheelies fairly easy. i did a power wheelie today and was surprised how fast it came up and just closed the throttle. this resulted in me smashing my balls hard on the seat/tank. it was pretty painful but was awesome at the same time.

#10 ·
If you're going to change out both sprockets and the chain and you're torn between just -1 or -1/+1 then get the -1/+2 because it's always easier to go down in teeth because the chain will still fit perfect or worse case you just take another link out of the chain.

You can always make a chain smaller, but it's not a good idea to add links by using multiple master links.

#11 · (Edited)
Well I decided to just do the -1 +1. I got Vortex front, and the rear is the Vortex Cat-5, and an RK XSO Gold chain. I figure it's a happy medium. I went to cyclesector.com. Its got the build your own kits, and its still cheaper than most I've seen. I paid less than 200 bucks for the whole thing, and a bottle of chain lube. Thanks for the help guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.