Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Difficulty shifting into 2nd gear...

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  penfold 
#1 ·
I have a 99 R6 and recently it seems to be having a slight problem shifting from 1st to 2nd. I usually shift from 1st to 2nd going at around 20-30 mph, most of the time it goes into 2nd very smoothly. However, recently when I pull in my clutch trying to shift to 2nd. It just sticks at netrual, when I try to bring it to 2nd gear again (not releasing the clutch from the previous attempt) it would make this weird noise. So I have to release the clutch, clutch in again and drop it back to 1st gear, then bring it up to 2nd gear. Usually the 2nd time does it, and from 2nd to 3rd is perfectly smooth. I am just wondering if there is any problem with my clutch, gear, or transmission? Sorry if my explanation is confusing to anyone and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 ·
Its not weird or confusing...... I had the same thing on my 02...... it would make these gut-wrenching sounds going from Neutral into 1st ... and from 1st to 2nd.... I had it singing in 1st once on a highway onramp.... then when I let her rip (shifting into 2nd as I accelled onto the highway) i hit neutral sorta like what you described instead of going into 2nd.... scared the **** outta me

I'd get it checked out... specially since you have a 99 model...

#3 ·
Drooder said:
Its not weird or confusing...... I had the same thing on my 02...... it would make these gut-wrenching sounds going from Neutral into 1st ... and from 1st to 2nd.... I had it singing in 1st once on a highway onramp.... then when I let her rip (shifting into 2nd as I accelled onto the highway) i hit neutral sorta like what you described instead of going into 2nd.... scared the **** outta me

I'd get it checked out... specially since you have a 99 model...
Did you get yours checked out? If you did, what was wrong with it?

#7 ·
a guy named Fabio just recently cleared up what the issue was.. (a drum inside the tranny that was overlooked) .. check out the other thread about it....If they haven't made it a sticky already.... Hoping its inexpensive.. cuz I may consider buying another 02 again....

#8 ·
Drooder said:
a guy named Fabio just recently cleared up what the issue was.. (a drum inside the tranny that was overlooked) .. check out the other thread about it....If they haven't made it a sticky already.... Hoping its inexpensive.. cuz I may consider buying another 02 again....
Thanks Drooder for pointing that out. Fabio sounds exactly like mine, yeah I hope it wouldn't be too much to get it fixed. I'm already a damn broke college student...

#10 ·
Drooder said:
Ohhh I know man..... I've already offered selling my soul to the highest bidder... just so I could become reunited with another bike after my wreck
ya, but had you included some cash in the deal, maybe i woulda gone for it. just don't eat the forbidden donut! mmmmmmm.........forbidden donut......aaaarrrrgggggghhhhhh............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.