Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

520 Conversion

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Doc-Ram 
#1 ·
I am fairly new owner of new 09 R6 (orange)I want to do a 520 conversion, so for my own informational sake i wanna know what are the sizes for the orignal sprockets and what are the size of the ones that I wanna change to? Is the o-ring or x-ring chain better? It is change of parts but I also wanna get a slip on, other than the megaphones are there any exhausts out there that will give me a lil deeper sound on my exhaust? Lastly I am lookin into takin off stock mirrors and putting at least one clip on the left handle what would be a good choice of mirror block offs and will it come with necessary bolts?

#2 ·
16/45 on your bike.

Normal 520 conversion would be -1/+2.

But it will accelerate like a different beast then. If you want to keep it the way it is now, just get 16/45 tooth sprockets made for a 520 chain and enjoy the less rotating mass.

imo, get a DID ERV3 chain, unless you're :**** and want a weird colored chain.

Black/Silver/Gold are the only colors I would run.

but that's just my opinion :/

#5 · (Edited)
Low end without too much loss on the top end would be a -1/+2. Most people with 600's like this, but there are a few that don't like it revving a bit more during cruising and those guys just go with a -1 in the front and stock tooth count rear. It all is personal opinion though. The nice thing about -1/+2 is that if you don't like it you can always get another rear and go back to stock on the rear. if yo udo just do it quickly before the sprockets/chain form to each other. If you want bottom end though you will probably like the -1/+2. Unless you want bottom end for wheelies/stunting then you'll probably want to go up even more in the rear, but realize this will take away from the top end and make it rev even higher when cruising. If you want a strong gold chain then go wit hthe rk gxw or the ek mvxz. a few ounces more weight then the did erv3, but stronger chains. If you decide to go with the newer steel rear sprockets that are lightweight then I would also consider the ek zzz, but that's overkill for a hard anodized alum rear sprocket.

#7 ·
I got the AFAM/Driven Systems (Black) Steel 47 tooth rear sprocket, 15 tooth front sprocket, Gold D.I.D. ERV3 chain. This has been by far the best mod I've done to my bike. No regrets whatsoever. It doesn't rev that high when you're cruising 70-80 mph, and the pick up in the lower rpms is astonishing compared to what it used to be. Also, in 6th gear, cruising 70-80, when you need to go, just twist the throttle. You're close to the sweet spot and it'll rock out when you need it to.

Just do it, and don't look back.

Just make sure you get a speedo healer. Something that will correct the change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.