2002 R6 one carb issue, sometimes.... - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2002 Yamaha YZF R6
2002 R6 one carb issue, sometimes....

I looked through search but all the topics turned up with stuff way worse than mine. Anyway, since I got my 02 in May, it has had a slight carb issue. The third cylinder from the left (dont know how they are technically numbered) doesn't always fire, but only at low rpm's.

I think its the carb because once its warm and above like 5000 rpm, there is no lack of power and its firing on all 4. If you heat gun the header after a normal ride, the thrid pipe is around 20 degrees lower than the rest.

If I pour a bunch of Gumout in the tank and let it sit overnight, it clears up for the rest of the tank, after that its back. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius
Re: 2002 R6 one carb issue, sometimes....

Might be the float setting on that one...or possible need of sync... Could be a lot of things.

When you want to win, when there is no substitute for the best, when you don't want to feel the sting of second place, you really only have one place to turn.

EDR Performance, because their fast is faster than everyone else's

www.edrperformance.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Yeah I am very familiar with carbs, on cars that is. I could go through a holley and rebuild it, jet it, adjust it, and put it back on my car in like an hour. Bikes are still new to me. I want to bring it to a shop, but they will rape me on the price. Id rather get some kick ass suggestions then do it myself. I'm not worried about screwing them up, just wasting time and not solving the problem.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius

I would start by making sure they are all properly synced and that the float level height is the same and in spec for all four carbs, assuming that they are all clean inside of course.

When you want to win, when there is no substitute for the best, when you don't want to feel the sting of second place, you really only have one place to turn.

EDR Performance, because their fast is faster than everyone else's

www.edrperformance.com
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
loves riding his 6

Bike: 06 R6s

bikes are easier than cars to work on... go over to R6 messages.net they have a how to on sync carbs..

Sig courtesy of GIJOE SEMPER FI!!!!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Soulja View Post
bikes are easier than cars to work on... go over to R6 messages.net they have a how to on sync carbs..
Hmm, interesting.... Ill check it out. I was on there earlier looking at 520 conversion "How to's" for more info.

The bike does have a Yoshi slip on, and I have no idea if the guy before me did a jet kit or not. Since its only the one carb i am sure thats not the issue, just a side note.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.