Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

First bike thoughts

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  The_grimm 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first actual post here, although I have been reading them for a short while.

The reason for this thread, as you can tell, is I plan on getting my first bike this fall/winter. I've decided my choices were going to be from an 07 or newer r6 and an 07ish triumph daytona 675. I've looked into them a lot, but still can't decide. I am really curious as to if any of you have ridden both bikes and can tell me positives and negatives about either bikes.

Extra details
6'3 average build
ridden a larger 1600 yamaha cruiser for beginning experience

#2 ·
I've never ridden a triple, but from what I've read they are a bit more nimble than any I4 600cc bike. The lack of a 4th cylinder reduces the gyroscopic effect that the engine produces. Either way, you won't be disappointed with either bike. I have to say though, you don't see too many triples putting around, at least I don't.

#4 ·
@ Arch
I agree, I think the only place close to me that I could possibly look to find a triple would be in Omaha or Sioux Falls, other than that I know several possible places I could easily find an r6. I do like the fact that it is kind of a more unique bike but everyone I've talked to says go with the r6 because of the extra power you get.

@ Sae
I guess you would consider the Triumph more of a through the mountains and a lot switch backs kind of bike then wouldn't you? So considering I live in a semi flat none mountain dominated region I guess the R6 would probably be a better choice, what about for taller guys such as myself, does lowering the bike help with that too then?

#5 ·
Of those two choices, I'd go with the R6.
I think the best opinions in this case belong to people who know you well. To make a good recommendation, a person has to know your personality type. Some people cannot be trusted to behave properly on a quick bike, others will take to the bike beautifully. I'd ask some close friends who seem to be good riders (not stunters, experienced riders who seem to know what they're doing). Nothing against stunters, you just need advise from conservative riders at this stage.

#8 ·
I would say 2nd on this one.. and if you can find em, gonna be more expensive i believe.

From some quick YT vids, the triple is a badass sounding bike too! :nocontrol

#9 ·
if you are going to be near wichita ks this weekend the triumph truck will be here for demos at bikers edge. you can give one a ride and see . the triumph is a great bike but the can be a little expensive. it handels very well and will handel with most sport bikes out there in its class. I say ride em both and then make the decision

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.