Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Sag Adjustment?!?!

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  DanQ 
#1 ·
i called my stealership that i bought my bike from they want to charge me $95 dollars... do you think thats right? i think its a little high lol... the reason i want to do a sag adjustment is i had my bike lowered... cause im short (5'3) and i only weigh about 120... now the bike is supposed to be already adjusted to the weight of an average person... 120 is not average... lol Should i get a sag adjustment or just leave it alone?

#2 ·
Adjusting ur suspension is one of the most important things you can do to the bike. That being said, you can get a few buddies over to do it. You just need someone to hold the bike and someone to measure.

That being said, I still haven't been able to convince my friends to come over for 20 min to help me with the bike...

#3 ·
haha this is true... so i guess ill get it done... but is the price of $95 right? i want it done right and all and its hard to get my friends to do anything thats manual labor haha especially here in florida where its HOT all the freaking time...

#7 ·
i went to a spot in NJ to get my suspension done.. even tho it was a hour and half trip. it was well worth it... the guy charge about 45bucks for the work. but since my height and weight was perfect for the bike. he didn't need to change much but the rebound .. so he only charged me 25bucks...

washington cycle works. i think was the name.. great guys. also it was highly recommanded by members here, that's how i heard of it. after i was done, there was like 3 other bikes waitting for suspention work as well.

the bike felt like brand freaking new.. you have no idea.

#12 ·
spend the money on new springs and getting them installed, then look up on the internet how to adjust the sag yourself its really easy. you just need a buddy to help. The stock springs are going to be way to stiff for you at only 120lbs, If you cant afford new springs then just take all the preload out of your fork and shock cause that is all the dealership is going to do anyway

#14 ·
If you go on the race tech website you can type in your bike and weight, and it will give you the stock rate and the rate that you need then in will have a list of how much they are, your forks might be close, but I guarantee that your shock is way to stiff, cause i way 140 and its like 5 rates to stiff for me

and I think a shock spring is about 100 bucks and like 120ish for the forks springs

#15 ·
Springs would run 109.99 for the rear and 109.99 for the front from Race Tech.

The lightest weight you can readily obtain would be about .85 kg/mm for the front, and 8.5 kg/mm for the rear. The stock front springs are .90 kg/mm and the rear is a 9.8 kg/mm. So best money would be to at least do the rear as previously suggested.

#20 ·
Noob to the froum, not to riding.

Sag (pre-load) is set by adjusting the spring lengths. I just picked up a new '09 R6 and noticed right away that the bike didn't 'sag' at all when I pushed down on the seat.

I don't know how the shock is on the 6s but on the R the rear shock is real easy to get to the spring adjuster. The tool, (comes with a new bike), that looks somewhat like a hook is for adjusting the rear shock spring. Making the spring tighter/shorter will increase the amount of sag.

You need to change spring rate if the shock tops out when you have the sag set at the proper amount (spring too stiff) or the bike sags too much when sitting with nothing on it (spring too soft). Forks are much more complcated to set pre-load.

The knobs and clickers control the 'action' of the suspension internally, which is set with shim stacks, to deternine how the shock/fork flow up/down at slow speed, mid stroke and full compression of the suspension.

#22 ·
guh springs r expensive... lol guess ill wait a lil while lol i just picked up a pair of vortex adjustable rearsets so im a lil poor haha plus i need too atleast save for the the next 2 months... lol need to build a new computer for a game coming out lol (ima dork =P) so if anything ill ill end up getting the new springs 2-3 months from now... but till then ill keep doing research lol thats the best i can do i suppose lol

#23 ·
mmm from racetech and their calculations... i really only need a rear spring... lol should i just get 1 spring or should i replace both? i wouldnt mind buying both =P but mayb i can just replace at different times if thats the case.

#24 ·
Springs would run 109.99 for the rear and 109.99 for the front from Race Tech.

The lightest weight you can readily obtain would be about .85 kg/mm for the front, and 8.5 kg/mm for the rear. The stock front springs are .90 kg/mm and the rear is a 9.8 kg/mm. So best money would be to at least do the rear as previously suggested.
:sing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.