Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Track/Race Bike Build

12K views 54 replies 20 participants last post by  SIKBLU 
#1 · (Edited)
So the R6 (after the HCT) will be a track only bike and i've put together a list of things I'm doing for next season. Please feel free to comment or add to the list...

Traxxion Dynamics AK-GAS Forks - $2500 Installed
Penske Triple Clicker Rear Shock - $1200 Installed
Built Top End from Rockwall Perf. - $1500
Bazzaz Stand Alone Quickshifter - $500
520 Kit (-1, +0, +2, +3) - $350
Dyno Tune - $300
New Race Fairings - $400
Tire Warmers - $400
Transponder - $300

Total: $7450 :eek5

If worse comes to worse about my frame (which will be checked out before all this work is done), I'll be buying a new one...

Frame ~ $1000

Total with frame: $8450

These are rough estimates.... Anything else? :confused

Damn, my wallet already hurts...

See less See more
#13 ·
Well some of the parts here I will need with or without buying a track bike (eg tire warmers, transponder)

But finding a trackbike that's setup like that (not including everything I already have done to my bike) for under $7k is damn near impossible...

Competitive yes. All the R6s in CMRA are getting the top ends done and are fast as hell. My suspension has been shit from day when and the rear shock won't keep the rebound under control. Do you know anything about racing? Differences in forks/shocks besides this one is better than the stock?

#17 · (Edited)
So the R6 (after the HCT) will be a track only bike and i've put together a list of things I'm doing for next season. Please feel free to comment or add to the list...

Traxxion Dynamics AK-GAS Forks - $2500 Installed
Penske Triple Clicker Rear Shock - $1200 Installed
Built Top End from Rockwall Perf. - $1500
Bazzaz Stand Alone Quickshifter - $500
520 Kit (-1, +0, +2, +3) - $350
Dyno Tune - $300
New Race Fairings - $400
Tire Warmers - $400
Transponder - $300

Total: $7450 :eek5

If worse comes to worse about my frame (which will be checked out before all this work is done), I'll be buying a new one...

Frame ~ $1000

Total with frame: $8450

These are rough estimates.... Anything else? :confused

Damn, my wallet already hurts...
I got a lightly used Ohlins 25mm Cart kit and Ohlins TTX for $200 more than your Penske. I would look on wera if you want to do this build.
I would do a lil bit more shopping around before you go dropping all this cash.

#19 ·
I got a lightly used Ohlins 25mm Cart kit and Ohlins TTX for $200 more than your fork kit. I would look on wera if you want to do this build.
I would do a lil bit more shopping around before you go dropping all this cash.
After talking to everyone I ride track with, Ohlins isn't very good for the tracks here in Texas. The pavement quality is sub-par and the ohlins are really touchy where as the traxxion and penske aren't. All the top racers in CMRA are running that setup on these tracks. I am a big fan of finding deals on things but when it comes to suspension, I will only buy new. Even tho I have a brand new 09 R6 (bought in Jan) that had to have the shock rebuilt in May and needs it again as we speak :facepalm

#24 ·
you don't need $2500 gas forks to be competitive in expert... and especially in amateur :fact

i believe there are WAY better options in terms of spending your money and getting bang for your buck. wait until the heart of the winter when $20k race bikes are being sold for $8k. your plan has you wasting lots of money.

#27 ·
I am uncertain about buying a used race bike. I dont know what kind of abuse it's been through you know? (eg bad misshifts, wrecked, banging the rev limiter, dumping the clutch)

But I am keeping my eyes out on the Wera board for something good to pop up...

#25 ·
a good option for the front end is GP suspension. i love mine and my buddy on a 25mm ohlins kit is switching over next season. it's $1300 installed. there's $1200 saved right there. if you're interested, i can get you in touch with someone that can take care of it for you...

#26 ·
I cant run the GP suspension in Superstock tho...

CMRA Rule Book said:
i) Suspension: Rear shocks may be changed or modified but must remain the
same type as original. Fork springs may be replaced with aftermarket springs, and fork oil
may be changed. Stock internal parts of forks may be changed to alter damping
characteristics. Aftermarket or OEM fork tubes from another make and model may be used
as long as they are the same dimensions as stock. The original fork sliders must be used.
To allow external adjustment of fork springs, fork caps may be changed. Suzuki TL models
are allowed to use aftermarket linkages that allow for mounting of a standard style rear
shock replacing the stock rotary damper setup.

#29 ·
you could get a good race bike for that price!!!!

WTH are you doing SikBlu???

Just buy another race bike and payoff the street bike, thats what I'd do. Get a good 08 R6 race bike for under $6k with salvage title :fact and then put that extra $$ towards paying off your own bike.

u must be real crazy to spend all this money and still have over $10k for payoff, but whatever floats your boat man. I just think its a big mistake.

#32 ·
Tell you what ram, you find me a low mileage race bike that is BUILT for under $6k and I'll buy it.... Otherwise I don't see much point in spending $6k on ANOTHER bike then have no money left to work on it if I need to. And on top of that still have $10k to pay off

#30 ·
I would just check the valves yourself man. It's easy check the clearance then pull one cam at a time(and reinstall starting with the exhaust cam first) to figure out what valve pads are already installed. Figure out what new pads you need if any, remove the exhaust cam replace what needs to be done then reinstall the exhaust cam, then do the same with the intake cam. Really easy. The dealer can't get any closer to spec than you can, yamaha only sells valve pads in .5 incriments instaed of the .1 they use from the factory. No point in spending $400+ to have it done when you can do it in an afternoon for less than $100. If you need there is even an excel spreadsheet that you could alter some values on, like the clearance range and desired clearance and it will tell you what size pads you need when you input what size pads you have installed already.

#35 ·
sik, i know a guy that got ak-20's and penske double installed at the best shop in houston for right at $2k. i know gas inserts are WAY more, but from everyone i've talked to, and everyone that has talked to suspension experts and then talk to me, a triple is just wasted money unless you're mid pack AMA. the setup and tuning on it is so fickle, you probably won't even like it.

but i do think you need suspension, tank sliders, a damper, a transponder, and race wire to be legal - well, you NEED 4 of those to be race legal... the suspension is just going to be icing. :fact

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.