Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

JYachnaR6's 04 (Re)Build Thread

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  MikeN02 
#1 ·
Well, I have decided to re-do my 2004 R6 and dedicate a thread to it's progress and what not for everyone to see and discuss. It's a winter rebuild so nothing will actually be done fast for right now, as much as I want to get it done, I have to manage work, fiance, working on the bike etc.

I have a 2004 Blue & White R6 I had bought with the convincing of my brother and a friend. Here are some pics of when I bought her:

As you can see the previous owner was very "sticker-happy" and proud of what the bike had on it. I originally liked the whole sticker idea, but started to become bored with it, and really wanted to stand out and make it more unique and less ricey looking. The bike basically has the necessities done to it such as PCIII, Devil High-mount Exhaust, BMC Race Filter, and was taken to ferracci to have it professionally dynoed and tuned.

See less See more
#2 ·
I decided first, I would use Photoshop to come up with a new scheme for the bike and how I wanted it to look. I came up with a few, but nothing that really poped or caught the eye. I searched the internet, forum etc and couldn't find anything. So after a few days I came up with a pretty nifty design and turned to the forum members here on there opinion of it. After some vauable imput from them all, this is the final rendering of what I would like to have as the end product:

It is a minimal paint design, and requires the exhaust to be cut down and flush mounts instead of stockers. Some rim tape and alot of patients. So this is where i'm at today. My first order of buisness is to rip of the fairings and get them all prepped for paint. I will update this with pics and whatnot as it happens. I will be doing all the work myself on this bike.

#4 ·
Good luck and have fun bro, I'm getting ready to do the same with my bike but I'm going with a lot of carbon fiber.

#11 ·
This coming Friday I am off from work, so I may get to cutting the can down. Hopefully so anyway.

#12 ·
This is how it will look. It will be a deaper low tone and louder. It took me an hour to measure mark. 5 min to cut. You will need to trim the end cap male pipe to reinstall it to the shorter pipe. I used stanless steel rivits and washeres from home depot. I think I cut it down 5 or 6 inches. I used the strap to get the measurement to cut it down. If you paint the pipe it will fake off after some time. I powercoated the down pipe. It lasted 3 seasons, I just wraped it in exhaust wrap.

Attachments

#14 ·
Well, Since it was a tad bit could outside, I said F it and took the fairings off and down to the basement to start working on them. I was actually surprised that the removing of the stickers wasn't as long and drawn out as I originally thought. I started on the lower fairings to "test" how it would be. This initially took about 20 minutes to finish. Once I was comfortable with how things would go, the rest were a snap to finish. I don't own a heat-gun, so I ended up using my fiance's hairdryer which works just as good. The only problem I ran into was the Pirelli logos and the Delta Box sticker. For some reason they were the biggest pain in the ass.

The key to it all is to heat, peel, heat, peel...untill the sticker is off and not to worry about the glue left behinde untill you get all the stickers off. Then I put it into my basement sink and soaked it all down with WD-40, let it set about 2 mins then used a paper towel to rub the excess glue off the plastic. For the harder glue residue, around the YAMAHA, I used WD-40 and my fingernail to remove that. Since I am rebuilding the bike, I figured I might as well get the stock signals out too, so I can get flushies for it.

It's funny how much of a change just removing stickers make. This bike should look 1000 x's better after it get's painted.

Before Working:

After Removing Decals & Getting Glue Off:

#16 ·
HAHAHA, yeah, that's been down there for a while lol, I still us eit at times. And thanks for the compliment. I'm deff, liking the new "non-sticker" look.

#19 · (Edited)
Ok, so after alot of prep work, I finally got to laying some paint down on my plastics today. It actually came out better then what I expected. I'll post pics when I get a chance. Still in the process of painting atm.

#20 · (Edited)
All that's left is to finish painting the tail, front fender, hedlight unit and tank. Then it's on to clearcoating it all. ~Woot~

#21 ·
I got the upper and lower fairings painted and out of the way. Just have to clear them and buff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.