Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Bike wouldn't start at school, help!

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  mufasis 
#1 ·
So I rode my bike to school today and everything seemed fine. I did my class and I came out at night to start my bike and ride home and I put the key in and turned it to on and nothing happened, no start up sequence nothing, like the battery was dead. The steering was at full lock left when I did this. I turned the wheel to center and tried again and it worked. I thought this was very strange so I turned the wheel back to left lock and it died. I decided not to ride the bike home and I had it towed to my place. I checked the battery and the fuses and all was good. I then proceeded to mess with the wire coming from the key ignition to the harness under the left top fairing. It seemed as I turned or twisted the wire the bike would lose power back and fourth until now it wont even turn on regardless of steering position. I am quite confused and this came out of nowhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

#3 ·
Yeah pretty wack! Thanks mint. I'm kinda stumped. Tomorrow morning I'm going to start fiddling again. If anyone has any advice let me know!

#5 ·
I had a similar problem on my earlier motorcycle. When I turned the handle, the ignition cut off. I even had this happen on slow turns:eek5 At one point, it would cut off and came back on immediately....with a backfire.

As it turned out, it was due to faulty cable routing which caused some parts of the ignition loom to stretch and disconnect.

While the ignition is on, try fettling with the connectors to see if the meters light up. Also make sure the connectors are clean.

Good luck!

#12 ·
The wire coming from where the key goes in I think is the problem. I did exactly what you said and the lights would come on and off when I twisted and turned the wire in different positions.

Thanks for the input guys. I thought the same thing that someone messed with my bike. When I was at school I tinkered and looked at all the wires and fuses. Everything seemed normal and un-messed with. I did recently install HID lights but the install was super clean and I never went near ignition.

I'm going to take a better look in a bit but if the wire is faulty coming from the key do I need to replace the whole ignition and get new keys?

#9 ·
That's a very long sig...

Good luck man!

#11 ·
My first thought was someone tried to jack it while you were in class, realized it was in its locked position then bailed...

When you get down in the iginition wire area, look for anything that might appear to be messed with then go from there...

Solid advice from previous posts on this as well...

#13 ·
Ok so I basically looked everything over and there seems to be no foul play. The battery is good and so are the fuses. I am willing to bet that its the connection from the key to the harness. Does anyone know what I need to replace?

#14 ·
Ok guys so I figured it out. I cut the wrapping off the wire coming from the key ignition and there is a crimp that connects two wires to one and one of the wires broke. I soldered it and wrapped it and everything is good as new! IM SO HAPPY, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 ·
No it looks like a factory brass connector. I could be wrong though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.