Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

wierd high pitched noise at start up

7K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  ibspoolin86 
#1 ·
hey guys.. so whenever i start my bike from cold (mainly) or the next morning..

i usually shut off my bike with kill switch .. as taught in school

i had a few questions if you guys can help me out

do you shut off ur bike with key or kill switch..

also in my case here whenever i turn my killswitch on and have my key in and turn it to acc NOT on yet..just to the part where your rpm meteres move left to right i hear this high pitched beep noise...

does anyone know what im talkin about..

#33 ·
They taught you wrong .... turn the bike off with your key, a kill switch is for emergency.

And that noise is normal, start your bike after you hear it.
:nono I know this thread is old, but I have to comment on this.

Whoever's instructor has a good reason for saying always use the kill switch. It's not about shutting your bike off when you get to your garage. It's about building a ingrained habit of flicking the kill switch when you want the engine off. That way if you ever have a mech failure while riding which causes the throttle to stick (there was a stuck throttle accident thread here not long ago), or anything like that, your immediate reaction will be to hit the kill switch. If it takes 1/2 second for you to think of that, it may be too late.

#5 ·
:facepalm:

#8 ·
I must have been doing it wrong on the last 7 sportbikes Ive owned... I dont think I have ever even once used the key to shut one of them off.... And what if you have a race bike that doesnt have a key? BIKE RUNS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek5

#11 ·
I thought these would be common knowledge...:popcorn:

#34 ·
This thread delivers...

So...Canada boi, if I'm riding on a street at night and want to park on the side of the street, when I pull off to the side and start maneuvering, I should just kill the entire ignition and black everything out so people driving in their cages can't see anything at all putting me at risk?

Think about it...youve been mis informed greatly...

I've got parking lights on my bike, they're designed for a purpose...parking. I hit the kill switch so the motor isn't running and use the parking lights to maneuver around.

#35 ·
:laugh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.