Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Overheating when turned off? Time for coolant change?

9K views 16 replies 18 participants last post by  artful R6 
#1 ·
That's normal I do believe
If the coolant hasnt been changed you could try water wetter and distilled water. Or engine ice.

#2 ·
I forgot to add that out of the 7 r6's that I ride with mine is the only one who does this, everyone else's temp stays pretty much at the same temp or goes up like 3 or 4 degrees. Doesn't go up 30 degrees like mine does

#4 ·
correct, I use water wetter. I was mostly saying if the coolant hasn't been changed it prly needs to and water wetter and engine ice are popular to use.

#5 ·
Yea, it's gonna go up when you stop the bike and shut it off. The coolant in the water jackets are gonna absorb ALL the heat from the cylnders and head. The exhaust will also drive heat into the rad and coolant as you stop. The whole bike gets so dam hot I'm not surprised.

Tons of R6's will be sitting, not running, but with the key on, and after 10 seconds or so, the temps rise and the fan goes on, and you run over and shut the key off.

On race bikes, there are no fans. They pull in the pit and put a fan in front of the bike, that's it.

I forgot to add that out of the 7 r6's that I ride with mine is the only one who does this, everyone else's temp stays pretty much at the same temp or goes up like 3 or 4 degrees. Doesn't go up 30 degrees like mine does
The coolant system may have water/moisture in it or the coolant sucks and is boiling. It wouldn't be a bad idea to flush the system out with distilled water then throw something good in there like Engine ice or maxima coolant. Both of which I can get you a smokin deal on. :fact

#10 ·
i mean i know its normal for it to go up but mine can go from like 200 to 230 in a minute or so once i kill the engine.

I've even seen it go past 240, so i dont wana walk away knowing my engine is above those temps

#11 ·
I was running average 200 and on hotter days around 220..

Last week I changed my coolant...

Now my average temp is 160 and high temp is 180(even though its hotter now)

LOVE IT!

def. recommend changing fluid.. takes a good 20mins to do.. no biggie.

I used 50/50 Prestone PreDiluted

#17 ·
You should check your manual. you shoud be able to find a PDF manual online and it will tell you what is normal and what is dangerous. in my 09 manual all stipulations for dangerous temps are given for a running engine wich I would take to mean the the heat bleeding out through the coolant is normal and a good thing when the bike is shut down.
the temp you see on your display isnt engine temp, its coolant temp. that being said I would check your coolant. and if your coolant is boiling, you'll be able to hear it when your bike shuts down before your fan kicks in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.