[PICS] Socal Supermoto School - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Needs more stars

Bike: 2005 R6, 2006 DRZ400 SM
[PICS] Socal Supermoto School

Yesterday Mark and I took the day off work and went to supermoto school at Adam's Motorsports Park in Riverside. If you live in southern California and have not done this I HIGHLY recommend it!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Basically, for $200 you get use of Brian's bikes (he has 4 that rotate between the 6-8 people that sign up) and you get instruction and basically a full day of riding...we had to stop a few times when the go-cart guys wanted to drive. But it was still more than enough track time.

The track is not closed like a regular track day so it was the 7 of us from the school, Brian (the guy that runs Socal Supermoto), and about 4 other guys.

In the morning we only did the street potion of the track. It is a small track because it is a go-cart track but I did not feel like it needed to be any bigger. And in the afternoon we were able to do the few turns and jumps in the dirt.

Now, for me, this was my first supermoto/dirt experience so I must say it was WEIRD! Pretty much everything that I have been taught to do in the last 5 years had to be thrown out the window for the day.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It was really bizarre trying to figure out a whole new body position, plus trying to remember to use the rear brake (which I NEVER use!). Plus, sliding my body to the opposite side of the bike in turns (I kept trying to stick my knee out
).

Overall it was a really rad experience and I am sure we will go again.

Here is a link to the school...again, if you live in southern California and especially if you have never ridden supermoto, you should sign up!

And I am so thankful that Brian takes photos because my camera broke!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 PM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, V-Star
Re: [PICS] Socal Supermoto School

My friend, Chris, was there yesterday, as well. He was in some orange blue and white Z custom leathers that he had when we raced together in 1993. (he just lost about 60 lbs and his current set doesn't fit anymore!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!

Last edited by 8Ball; 07-19-2012 at 07:15 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Needs more stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
My friend, Chris, was there this weekend. He was in some orange blue and white Z custom leathers that he had when we raced together in 1993. (he just lost about 60 lbs and his current set doesn't fit anymore!)
This guy.....?

He was trying to sell his new suit yesterday.
Nice guy...in fact everyone there was cool.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: '09 R6 Raven.

Congrats. Looks like a blast. I'd love to try one. Thanks for sharing.

TaylorMade Full System, PCV, AGG Block-Offs, ExUp Removal, Shermoto Levers, 5K HID's, Graves flushmounts, Custom Integrated LED rear, Vortex rearsets, SAMCO hoses, Fren Tubo Type 2, AGG Rear reservoir delete, Oury grips, Double Bubble Clear windscreen, Q3's, Stomp Grip Tank Pads.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:21 PM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, V-Star

Yep! That's the Somma Bish that got me into roadracing!!!!

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Holy crap that sounds awesome! We should totally get an R6-Forum day together out there.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HER6 View Post
Plus, sliding my body to the opposite side of the bike in turns (I kept trying to stick my knee out
).
Why do they have you do that? I've seen plenty of supermoto guys dragging knee and carrying crazy lean angles. On pavement, the physics is still going to work the same...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Needs more stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Holy crap that sounds awesome! We should totally get an R6-Forum day together out there.
That would be rad.
The school runs on Wednesdays and Saturdays but they only open the dirt section on Wednesdays. We will probably do another Wednesday in the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Why do they have you do that? I've seen plenty of supermoto guys dragging knee and carrying crazy lean angles. On pavement, the physics is still going to work the same...
No idea...they is just what they told me to do.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 PM
It's pronounced "Tollz"

Bike: 2007 R6, 2009 DRZ400SM
Send a message via AIM to JTolles

Ugh, I want to hit up a supermoto track so bad.

Sig by Joe

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 R6 Blue

I take my car there for time attack nights at adams. Always wanted to ride the supermoto portion(unless its the same). And i want to make my crf450 into a supermoto but its expensive. trackdays for bike there are 25 bucks!

CVMA #691

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.