I eat my R6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Bike: 09 R6 - 08 RR (SOLD)
Re: 2008 CBR 600RR Graffiti owner here...looking into possibly trading/owning a 2009
Hey everyone I've got a few questions:
1. Upon cold start, the bike takes almost 4 full seconds to fire up. My battery is brand new and not the issue. When it does turn over, it idles ~1,500. Every bike I've ever owned has fired right up cold and strong and cold idled/auto-choked to up around 2,000 rpm before it crept back down slowly to normal operating temp idle. It's almost like this bike has no cold idle choke? I've read on this forum of people having this same issue. I read there was an issue with the 06 and some early 07's in which the plane bearing for the crank had too MUCH clearance, and when the bike idles, makes very low oil pressure. Is it true that in the 08 revision, Yamaha made slightly wider crank journals to alleviate this low oil psi issue at idle? I'm just worried about this low oil pressure issue coupled with an already low idle.
2. It fires up normally and right away after it's been warmed. Huge difference in time between cold start.
3. What is the correct OEM idle for these bikes? It seems way too low (mine seems to hover around 1300-1200 rpm. It's bouncy as well sometimes. I hate having to rev/throttle it every time I want top take off from a stop in first. My 08 CBR RR would idle pinned at 1,500 and you simply had to ease out the clutch and she'd start rolling. Definitely not the case with this R6. If I did that, it would simply stall.
4. What temp does the thermo start opening? What temp is the thermo completely open?
5. I'm planning on sending my ECU to OhioYJ to be reflashed. I'd like to have the throttle unlocked (taking off the EPA restrictions that close the TB's at high RPM) so basically flashing the ECU back to an 08's. I also think it's a good idea to have him raise my idle to 1,900rpm. My idea is that not only will this provide better idle engine oil pressure/flow, it will also help in first gear take off. I won't need to rev/throttle her so much to take off.
6. When cold, this motor makes a TON of chatter and valve/lifters/clicking/tapping noises. Is this normal? Sorry, I'm used to my CBR RR that was super quiet and smooth regardless of temp and rpm. I remember my old F4i's cam chain tensioner, now that was annoying...like a can filled with BB's. But this R6 is pretty damn chatter-y
Last edited by Blade-Brown; 11-05-2012 at 04:23 PM.