Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Shifting Gear (Noob)

3K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  shah_alf 
#1 ·
I'm new at riding motorcycles and i've never driven a stick shift car and my question is,
What is the optimal shift points when riding a stock R6?

I understand its varies on bike and mods but as for a stock bike when should I be shifting to 2nd, 3rd etc..? RPM?

For
Street riding?

and how about for Racing (Track)? (I don't condone street racing)

I just want to know more about my bike and its potential.
(Track day in a few months)

Thanks

#2 ·
Not sure if serious.......but shift whenever you fcking feel like it!:D The beauty of a manual transmission which is slowly winding down nowadays in cars...

#9 ·
I think it would depend on what year or gen R6 you have, and what kind of riding you are doing, and really what style you’re personally comfortable with there really is a lot of answers to this question.

#13 ·
i generally shift between 15k - 16.5k rpm. i don't ride my bike on the street anymore.

nothing about the r6 is good for street riding. it's awkward, twitchy, uncomfortable and impractical on the street. all of this goes away when you're on a track, however.

if you have a track day scheduled, you'll see soon enough. track riding will take ALL the fun out of street riding...

s3aturnr

#14 ·
i generally shift between 15k - 16.5k rpm. i don't ride my bike on the street anymore.

nothing about the r6 is good for street riding. it's awkward, twitchy, uncomfortable and impractical on the street. all of this goes away when you're on a track, however.

if you have a track day scheduled, you'll see soon enough. track riding will take ALL the fun out of street riding...

s3aturnr
:fact

Just shift when the bike stops pulling, you'll be able to feel it.

#15 ·
I generally always keep it above 4k and from there just shift before 17k. Lol

#21 ·
street riding = shift long before you have any fun or the bike screams. This is how you avoid tickets.

#26 ·
I shift around 6-8k rpm. Going up an on-ramp, Ill shift at around 10k. If Im having a little fun, Ill shift around 15k (by the time you shift your be around the redline). As far as to what gear you should be in....cruising around you want to be in the highest gear possible without overstressing/bogging the engine to get the best mpg. Normally speaking, I will not cruise under 4-5k rpm. I understand the questions you have as my wife has asked me the same...she is just now learning to drive a manual. The beauty of a manual is it will literally do whatever you want it to do. Once you learn how to use the gears and clutch, you will drive/ride much more efficiently than in an automatic with far greater control. I personally believe it should be taught in drivers ed. It really comes down to repetition and eventually your body will just know what and when to do it with out you thinking about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.