Dropped bike for the first time....have Questions - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 37
Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6 (Blue)
Thumbs down Dropped bike for the first time....have Questions

Will post pics later. Its night. wont be able to take pics till the morning.

So dropped my 08 r6 for the first time. sucks cause i was at a stand still at a gas station. leaned a bit and the bike tipped. retarded way to drop a bike but it happens. And i know it will happen again int he future.....so I have 2 questions.

1) Time to get frame sliders. I learned my lesson. Is there a difference in frame sliders? are 1 better than another? A link to frame sliders for sale would help. Not sure which one to get.
2) Only Noticeable one are a big patch of scratches and chipped paint or whatever on the fairing that has the "yamaha" logo. damage is above the "yamaha" logo on the right side. So my question is. How do i fix this. I know I will drop the bike again probably in the future but for now i would like to fix this. Do you buff this? repaint? im not sure how the scratches are fixed on the r6 fairing.

Thanks for any help.
eastcoastbangas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
mgossel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,868
Re: Dropped bike for the first time....have Questions

Frame sliders are a good idea...just keep in mind, the intended purpose is to protect the frame, not the plastics. Will it minimize plastic damge, sure.

I went with the woodcraft "cut" sliders, which have proven to be a great investment. Some folks don't like to cut into the plastics, but it is worth it.

As far as the damage, buff it and maybe put a little touch up. Scratches make a good conversation piece and build character. Don't worry about it, it happens to the best of us.
mgossel is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 37
Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6 (Blue)
Re: Dropped bike for the first time....have Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgossel View Post
Frame sliders are a good idea...just keep in mind, the intended purpose is to protect the frame, not the plastics. Will it minimize plastic damge, sure.

I went with the woodcraft "cut" sliders, which have proven to be a great investment. Some folks don't like to cut into the plastics, but it is worth it.

As far as the damage, buff it and maybe put a little touch up. Scratches make a good conversation piece and build character. Don't worry about it, it happens to the best of us.
"Scratches make a good conversation piece and build character."
haha love it. thanks for the advice.
eastcoastbangas is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 05:59 PM
I eat my R6
 
Eric10301's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Bernardino, CA
Posts: 1,353
Bike: 08 R6 Track Bike
Re: Dropped bike for the first time....have Questions

Don't expect frame sliders to protect your plastics. That being said, PM chief for some Woodcraft frame sliders and swingarm spools.
Eric10301 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
mgossel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,868
Re: Dropped bike for the first time....have Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbangas View Post
"Scratches make a good conversation piece and build character."
haha love it. thanks for the advice.
Well, if that is all you got out of it...glad I could help
mgossel is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:48 PM
track junkie
 
S3aturnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 2,165
Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6
Re: Dropped bike for the first time....have Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbangas View Post
Will post pics later. Its night. wont be able to take pics till the morning.

So dropped my 08 r6 for the first time. sucks cause i was at a stand still at a gas station. leaned a bit and the bike tipped. retarded way to drop a bike but it happens. And i know it will happen again int he future.....so I have 2 questions.

1) Time to get frame sliders. I learned my lesson. Is there a difference in frame sliders? are 1 better than another? A link to frame sliders for sale would help. Not sure which one to get.
2) Only Noticeable one are a big patch of scratches and chipped paint or whatever on the fairing that has the "yamaha" logo. damage is above the "yamaha" logo on the right side. So my question is. How do i fix this. I know I will drop the bike again probably in the future but for now i would like to fix this. Do you buff this? repaint? im not sure how the scratches are fixed on the r6 fairing.

Thanks for any help.
funny thing about frame sliders is; they have a tendency to punch holes in your engine block in low speed drops. consider, for a moment, how they are intended to be used; you're riding thru a corner, leaned over, knee down, the bike slides out from under you while the slider is only about 12 inches off the ground already and you slide. it won't save the fairings. it may save your case covers. the vertical impact of the slider to the ground is minimal.

you put a slider in the situation you had where you drop your bike from a standstill and it's likely to do more harm than good.

1) woodcraft frame sliders are generally considered the most effective. they are shorter, so they don't have as much of a chance to catch on something and send the bike tumbling. i have seen sliders save the day, i have seen them do almost nothing and i have seen them make things way worse. it's all in the type of "off" you have. no-cut sliders are generally considered damn near useless, unless you consider the aesthetic value of them. you may want to try to get case savers or woodcraft case covers as well. they help keep the oil in the bike in the event of a low-side.

2) bikes have a little character to them with a couple scratches. my advice; don't worry about it. it's not like it's a show bike.

good luck and don't worry too much about the small stuff. not too many riders can say they've never dinged-up a bike...


s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68
S3aturnR is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Live 2 Ride, Ride 2 Live
 
pete123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NNJ
Posts: 69
Bike: 2008 R6
Re: Dropped bike for the first time....have Questions

Shoguns "cut version" are also great, tho you will need a dremel to make little modification to the left fairing. IMO it is much better option than "no cut" frame sliders.
pete123 is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Make good choices.
 
thedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Posts: 2,707
Bike: R6, SV, XR250, Tiger 800
Re: Dropped bike for the first time....have Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
funny thing about frame sliders is; they have a tendency to punch holes in your engine block in low speed drops....
Say what?
thedub is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 PM
pin it to win it
 
bryan j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: forsyth GA
Posts: 8,010
Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Say what?
Idk what kinda sliders he has but no way my cut woodcraft would do that. It'd have to bend the shit out of the frame for them to punch into block

Go fast parts:
Pipercross race filter, Leo sbk slip on, 05 header mod, pcv, bauce racing ecu flash, agg smog block offs, quick turn throttle, 520 rk gxw chain -1-1 renthal sprockets, ebc hh pads
, Shorai battery.

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,


Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 PM
iRun
 
pickpocket293's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, for the next 10 seconds.
Posts: 33,161
Bike: Sold off in pieces.
Re: Dropped bike for the first time....have Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
funny thing about frame sliders is; they have a tendency to punch holes in your engine block in low speed drops. consider, for a moment, how they are intended to be used; you're riding thru a corner, leaned over, knee down, the bike slides out from under you while the slider is only about 12 inches off the ground already and you slide. it won't save the fairings. it may save your case covers. the vertical impact of the slider to the ground is minimal.

you put a slider in the situation you had where you drop your bike from a standstill and it's likely to do more harm than good.

1) woodcraft frame sliders are generally considered the most effective. they are shorter, so they don't have as much of a chance to catch on something and send the bike tumbling. i have seen sliders save the day, i have seen them do almost nothing and i have seen them make things way worse. it's all in the type of "off" you have. no-cut sliders are generally considered damn near useless, unless you consider the aesthetic value of them. you may want to try to get case savers or woodcraft case covers as well. they help keep the oil in the bike in the event of a low-side.

2) bikes have a little character to them with a couple scratches. my advice; don't worry about it. it's not like it's a show bike.

good luck and don't worry too much about the small stuff. not too many riders can say they've never dinged-up a bike...


s3aturnr
Da fuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Say what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan j View Post
Idk what kinda sliders he has but no way my cut woodcraft would do that. It'd have to bend the shit out of the frame for them to punch into block
This.



Woodcraft for the win. Leave the scuffs on there so you won't be so upset when you dump it again.


Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s? HERE
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250? HERE
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer? HERE
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz? HERE
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH? HERE
  • How does rotating mass work? HERE
pickpocket293 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike dropped for first time yesterday TuRmoiL84 General Discussions 25 02-19-2011 04:00 PM
Buddy went down + 1st gen questions + Dropped my 07 :( jmejiaa General Discussions 4 07-20-2009 06:30 AM
Got me another bike - full time track bike this time ciaka General Discussions 12 11-06-2007 04:49 PM
Oil change time. Questions. straitwangin General Discussions 17 08-06-2007 11:40 AM
dropped my bike for the first time... no1stunna09 General Discussions 13 10-03-2005 11:18 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome