02 ZX6R opinions. Good buy or bad? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Dont be so picky. I wasnt

Bike: 06 R1
Send a message via AIM to ErikTaylor
02 ZX6R opinions. Good buy or bad?

I thought about purchasing this as a beginners track bike, mainly because of the price. It has 19K and is in perfect running shape. However there is no title. Apparently it was salvaged with a new frame that doesn't have a VIN. Good for a track bike or stay away due to no title? He only wants 1K for it.

Why do people always say, "Grow some balls"? Balls are soft and sensitive. People should say, "Grow a vagina". Vagina's can take a pounding!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
So your question was what should you use as an indicator of the oil level instead of the thing that exists solely to indicate the level of oil?
R6- Gone
R1 Now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Ride Blue

Re: 02 ZX6R opinions. Good buy or bad?

It's not a bad deal, but just know that when you do buy it, it will be far from track ready.

You'll need to fully inspect the bike from top to bottom to make sure no components are damaged. I guarantee you the tires won't be good for the track, and if it's a 2002 you'll probably have to do a bit of work to the brakes (new pads and lines).

Plan ahead for the long term.. are you SURE you never want this bike on the road? With NO title at all, it's unlikely you'll be able to get this thing legal ever again. Also consider that it might be difficult to sell.

Just make sure you overlook the entire bike before you buy it. Look for cracks in the subframe and anything else that looks out of place. You don't want to end up on a half-assed bike at 140 mph on the track.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Weeeeeeeeeeeee

Bike: '13 Ninja 300, '07 Gix600

I bought an untitled 07 Gixxer the same as u described. There's no way I was going to put it on the street, the wiring for lights is gone and it would cost too much to street legal. It's my dedicated track bike and I love it. For the price you describe it sounds like a good deal. check it over like others have said and budget for brakes, lines, tires, and a potential master cylinder rebuild (which is like $30 in parts). If you are just starting out it sounds like a good deal to me.

2009 FZ6R - grocery getter
2004 CBR600RR- track
2013 Ninja 300- sold
2009 R6 -sold

SOAR #818
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 AM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 raven

Idk for the time and effort to take and put it to track duty correctly, im sure there is something better suited or an already done track bike for sale.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

If it's track day only machine you can't beat it. It would require no work to make it a track machine if you decide to leave it stock. If you want to go with race plastics and the whole nine, then yeah it will cost you. I'm not a fan of older machines that are carbed, but at that price it's not a bad deal.

However I think for a couple K more you can get a more modern machine that is a little more prepped. I have my bike up for sale and I'm asking $3,500. Mine is an 05 and is totally prepped minus safety wiring. There are deals out there and if you look a little more you may find one.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Dont be so picky. I wasnt

Bike: 06 R1
Send a message via AIM to ErikTaylor
Thanks for the info guys. Still debating...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Why do people always say, "Grow some balls"? Balls are soft and sensitive. People should say, "Grow a vagina". Vagina's can take a pounding!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
So your question was what should you use as an indicator of the oil level instead of the thing that exists solely to indicate the level of oil?
R6- Gone
R1 Now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.