Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Official "GP Style Shifting" count

6K views 76 replies 54 participants last post by  DTcrew4 
#1 ·

Counting how many of us here has their 6 on GP style shifting.

I haven't rode exactly 1 yr this month. I rode GP style shift before. I bought another r6(new) this monday evening. I rode the bike 17 miles from 0 miles fresh off the dealers. Soon as I woke up the next morning i switched it to GP style shifting which literally took me less than 5 minutes. Free mod FTMFW! :cool:

Big difference on how fast and smooth shifting through the gears from regular to GP style.

But for you noobs that wants to do this here is the How To: Link
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26694&highlight=gp+style

But you don't have to take out the mid fairing. Just unscrew the lower bolt of the mid fairing. After that its 2 bolts on the shifter, flip it and tighten the screws back on. :toocool:

#34 ·

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App

#36 ·
where have you been? :dunce

i ride GP shift. it's awesome with a QS. but i agree, you don't have to go to GP shift if you don't feel comfortable. it's not even a "cool factor". I just found it much more convenient and actually beneficial for when I ride.

and also, don't switch to GP shift 2 days before a trackday. I did, but at the same time, I engraved in my head that I was doing a different shift pattern. not recommended. :lmao

#38 ·
wasup man! ya sorry i have been MIA. But I am back now. Still got the Tib?
So what # are you?

I think You are #23... So # 24 is next.

#43 ·
What y'all talking about bending the rod and moving it outside the frame? On the 3rd gen you just flip the link.. This pics shows how mine was gp shifted.

Attachments

#55 ·
As of 5 minutes ago I'm now GP shift. I'll try it out over the next week and determine if I want to switch back or not.

Sent while riding my R6. o_O

#59 ·
How did u go from 30 to 46??
Do u also shift from 2 to 6th? Lol j/k

I am #32 GP shift for my track bike... Street bike is still standard. Don't have an issue with GP, but when I have the ride the street bike, it gets a little iffy

Sent from my ADR6300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#67 ·
First day with GP Shift.. what an experience. On to day 2

Sent while riding my R6. o_O

#70 ·
got a chance to change mine to gp shift today.

after getting sidi boots a few months ago i've been having issues upshifting. every time i rode with my girlfriend on the back she would always ask if something was wrong with the bike... "no i just can't feel the lever so i f up all the up shifts."

today we went out and had no problem. the cool thing is i only have trouble feeling the lever when i get my boot under the lever. so when i mess up a downshift now it obviously isn't as noticeable when messing up an upshift. when accelerating and running through the gears it makes things so much easier now. i'll be out again tomorrow to get some more time to play with it. i think this may be a keeper.

only issue i had was when i forgot about the gp shift and slowed down for a 5 mph turn and realized i was in 6th gear...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.