OSRAM - SilverStar H7 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
OSRAM - SilverStar H7

Hi all,

I am thinking of putting a pair of OSRAM - SilverStar H7 on my R6. Will this make any difference? I don't like stock bulbs - hard too see during night riding. Please let me know.

Thanks.
TheGuest is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I eat my R6
 
motoman21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,225
Bike: '12 R6
Re: OSRAM - SilverStar H7

Just get a set of HIDs and you will be good. Theres kits out there that cost just ass much as a set of Silverstars. Search on the forums for a how to.
motoman21 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
Re: OSRAM - SilverStar H7

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman21 View Post
Just get a set of HIDs and you will be good. Theres kits out there that cost just ass much as a set of Silverstars. Search on the forums for a how to.
What's the benefit?
TheGuest is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 PM
I eat my R6
 
motoman21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,225
Bike: '12 R6
Re: OSRAM - SilverStar H7

Wayyyyyy brighter.
motoman21 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Parts Pimp
 
ChiefSmokeDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: JerZ
Posts: 26,240
Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: OSRAM - SilverStar H7

AGG2001 sells HID's now. $55 a set IIRC. I have a set some fcuker backed out of on me I'd let go of unused.

Otherwise, checkout AGGracing.com and order a set up homie. There's countless posts on HID's on here. Below is a google search to help you find info. This site won't search for 3 letter words, so you need to use google like I did below. It's a sticky on this forum somewhere on how to use google to search the forum.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...iw=970&bih=857

CONTACT/EMAIL ME HERE

R6 ECU FLASH Click Here



My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Is it Deals Gap time yet?
 
CBR240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Apex NC, USA
Posts: 257
Bike: 2007 R6
Re: OSRAM - SilverStar H7

OP - HIDs are way brighter, and that is good, but:

- your headlights are not designed for them, they will "splatter" (emit light at angles they should not, pissing off driver in front of you and those that pass by you), not a problem for high beams, but is for low beams.

- When I bought my bike a year ago, it had a HID kit already installed. There were issues of the low beams failing to come on at times, turn the key off and back on and it would come on. I replaced everything with another (I thought better) HID kit. All was good for about 5 months, but following a friend home one night, he mentioned the splatter. I enjoyed that it annoyed him (what are friends for), but didn't like doing that to strangers. I was going to revert to standard on just the low beam (the HID high beam is great for seeing deer), but turning the bike on for work one morning one of the ballasts started smoking. I pulled the HID kit, replaced all wiring with OEM, and have not had an issue since.

I do miss the HID high beam, but don't trust the cheap kits anymore.

I am a sample size of one, so this is somewhat meaningless. I not saying don't go HID, I'm just saying you might want to research the pros and cons a little before jumping in.
CBR240 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
Re: OSRAM - SilverStar H7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR240 View Post
OP - HIDs are way brighter, and that is good, but:

- your headlights are not designed for them, they will "splatter" (emit light at angles they should not, pissing off driver in front of you and those that pass by you), not a problem for high beams, but is for low beams.

- When I bought my bike a year ago, it had a HID kit already installed. There were issues of the low beams failing to come on at times, turn the key off and back on and it would come on. I replaced everything with another (I thought better) HID kit. All was good for about 5 months, but following a friend home one night, he mentioned the splatter. I enjoyed that it annoyed him (what are friends for), but didn't like doing that to strangers. I was going to revert to standard on just the low beam (the HID high beam is great for seeing deer), but turning the bike on for work one morning one of the ballasts started smoking. I pulled the HID kit, replaced all wiring with OEM, and have not had an issue since.

I do miss the HID high beam, but don't trust the cheap kits anymore.

I am a sample size of one, so this is somewhat meaningless. I not saying don't go HID, I'm just saying you might want to research the pros and cons a little before jumping in.
Thanks a lot! I heard similar input from other riders.
TheGuest is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM
she drops it low
 
Krutoydiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sactown, CA
Posts: 1,447
Bike: SOLD-2011 Yamaha R6 Raven
Re: OSRAM - SilverStar H7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
AGG2001 sells HID's now. $55 a set IIRC. I have a set some fcuker backed out of on me I'd let go of unused.

Otherwise, checkout AGGracing.com and order a set up homie. There's countless posts on HID's on here. Below is a google search to help you find info. This site won't search for 3 letter words, so you need to use google like I did below. It's a sticky on this forum somewhere on how to use google to search the forum.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...iw=970&bih=857
+1 on the agg

http://aggracing.com/store/index.php...&product_id=73

get 5k for best light and look =)

/thread

OES No Cut angle sliders,spools, bar ends
Watsen flushmounts-Ryan5544
Custom FE
Modified 05 Headers
Modified Devil Rocket CF slip on
Block off plates-AggRacing
6k HIDs-AggRacing
Bauce Flashed ECU-Bauce Racing
BMC Race Filter-Bauce Racing
Reservoir Socks-Slowboy
CF Triple tree cover-SKUR

Future-
Shermans levers...
Krutoydiesel is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I eat my R6
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 421
Bike: 09 R6 - 08 RR (SOLD)
Re: OSRAM - SilverStar H7

Honestly, after running HID's in my previous bikes for years...I wouldn't even consider installing a free set in my R6. High-Intensity discharge lamps, regardless of color/Kelvin temperature, effin' BLIND oncoming traffic. I mean just look at them yourself....point is you can't, for more than .05 seconds. Plus, it doesn't "look good"...It's a blob/splatter of light due to our reflective housings. Our housing are NOT designed for these electrical gas-discharge lamps. I am currently looking into finding a set of H7 silverstars or the such in light blue or gold. At least then I'll be brighter than stock, will have some color tint and will have an actual PATH of light rather than a clusterf^&k


2009 R6 Black/Charcoal
BAUCE Tune - BMC Track filter

2008 CBR 600RR Graffiti (SOLD)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...8-19174402.jpg
2001 F4i (I miss you, please write)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...8/DSCN0852.jpg
Blade-Brown is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Tron has corrupted me
 
BigShepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Norman OK
Posts: 1,411
Bike: 2005 R6 Raven "Deimos"
Re: OSRAM - SilverStar H7

Cheap HID kits suck.

I did a write up here on the forum on the H7 bulbs I got. Pics are in there. Go check it out if you're interested.

H7 bulbs from HeadlightBulbs.com

Hard work yields great rewards, but idle talk leads only to destruction.
Proverbs 14:23

“Faster, Faster, Until The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.”
Hunter S. Thompson

"It wasn't until I went to college and I got my first motorcycle that I understood the thrill of speed."
Vin Diesel
BigShepp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Xenarc Osram D1S HID lamps 66042 La Negra Bikes Parts For Sale 4 03-26-2009 11:39 AM
Silverstar H7 bulbs for sale. mrricepuff Bikes Parts For Sale 1 06-13-2007 09:52 PM
HID's or SYLVANIA SilverStar Yamahauler Appearance and Exterior Mods 59 12-02-2006 08:16 PM
Silverstar bulbs and HID System Pics Bluebiker3500 Appearance and Exterior Mods 6 10-15-2005 06:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome