Fuel Stabilizer? - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 AM
YZF-R6 Fighter Pilot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 188
Bike: 04 R6 blue
Re: Fuel Stabilizer?

the regular red fuel stabilizer is supposed to have a new formula that is made to fight corrosion in todays higher ethanol fuels. At least thats what it says on the bottle. I store my bike 4-5 months a year. I have had the bike for 9 years, and I have used the red stabilizer in it every winter with no problems.
GO BLUE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 AM
nova r6
 
tdoss1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: northern va
Posts: 2,271
Bike: 05 r6 raven
Re: Fuel Stabilizer?

Stabil now makes an ethanol treatment and do not reccomend their standard stabilizer for ethanol fuel, personally ive had great luck with startron
tdoss1980 is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
NyseR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 346
Bike: 2012 Blue R6
Re: Fuel Stabilizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
if used per directions on the bottle, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use all the time. Especially if the bike will sit awhile. Also keep the tank full. If you have ethanol in your pump gas, this is even more important.
Every motorcycle winterization check list you read will tell you to fill your tank and add fuel stabilizer and I'll be the first to admit that I follow those instruction on most of my vehicles. The truth is that this is completely false if your were to leave your bike sit for more than three months.

The amount of condensation that could occur in such a small tank would be virtually nothing compared to the amount ethanol separation after the 3 month mark even if taken the most extreme example. Assuming you take a 4 gallon and ride it to almost empty on a very cold day with 100% humidity, park it in your heated garage, and open the fuel cap to check the fuel level, then close it and store it for winter. The total amount of condensation wouldn't equal 0.02 ounces. The amount of ethanol separation would far exceed that on a full 4 gallon tank after 3 months.

So what's the best way? Ideally, store your tank almost empty then add fresh gasoline before your first ride. This of course is only ideal if you plan on actually storing the bike and not starting it over the winter.

I have all the actual mathematical calculations done for supercharged racing engines on jet skis stored from November to March, but the premise is still the same.

Current Mods: Full Leo Vince Factory EVO II carbon exhaust, Bauce Racing ECU, Bazzaz Z-Fi + AFM, DID ERV3 520 chain, Renthal 15/47 sprockets, Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires, BMC track filter, HyperPro RSC steering damper, Rizoma RRC rearset, Rizoma Radial Sport mirrors, Fren Tubo SS brake lines, Rizoma front and rear brake reservoirs, Puig DB light smoke windscreen, AGG smog block-off plates, Proton flushmounts, Shermoto Racing levers, Driven D3 grips, Motodynamic smoked integrated tail light, Rizoma chain adjuster, Rizoma gas cap, Rizoma oil filler cap, OEM solo seat cowl, BikeStyle passenger peg plugs, Carbon fiber ram air covers, Shogun framesliders, Vortex swingarm spools, Gregg's Customs rear tag cover, Custom fender eliminator, 90 degree valve stems, CustomLED relay, Scala G9, Slowboy reservoir socks, Motul 300V, Engine Ice, NJG custom decal set, Pitbull front and rear stands
NyseR6 is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Nothing lasts forever.
 
bzdkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 330
Bike: 2008 R6, All Black.
Re: Fuel Stabilizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyseR6 View Post
Every motorcycle winterization check list you read will tell you to fill your tank and add fuel stabilizer and I'll be the first to admit that I follow those instruction on most of my vehicles. The truth is that this is completely false if your were to leave your bike sit for more than three months.

The amount of condensation that could occur in such a small tank would be virtually nothing compared to the amount ethanol separation after the 3 month mark even if taken the most extreme example. Assuming you take a 4 gallon and ride it to almost empty on a very cold day with 100% humidity, park it in your heated garage, and open the fuel cap to check the fuel level, then close it and store it for winter. The total amount of condensation wouldn't equal 0.02 ounces. The amount of ethanol separation would far exceed that on a full 4 gallon tank after 3 months.

So what's the best way? Ideally, store your tank almost empty then add fresh gasoline before your first ride. This of course is only ideal if you plan on actually storing the bike and not starting it over the winter.

I have all the actual mathematical calculations done for supercharged racing engines on jet skis stored from November to March, but the premise is still the same.
So if I leave the tank almost empty like you say and create a vacuum in the tank with lets say some kind of suction device, there should be even less condensation?
bzdkid is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 AM
I hate bike thieves
 
Glock21sf_Saiga12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 650
Bike: Sexy Silver 08 R6(stolen)
Migrate to Tx during winter. It's like 75 degrees today

Sent from my scrotum using Motorcycle.com Free App

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Glock21sf_Saiga12 is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 AM
ready to race
 
basmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 73
Bike: 03R6.08FZ1.81cb750F etc.
Re: Fuel Stabilizer?

In Canada shell 95 octain has no ethenol...that's what I use for storage in the tank
basmn is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 AM
"The Dude abides .. "
 
MELK-MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: tampa
Posts: 4,558
Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: Fuel Stabilizer?

the thing many are not understanding about the e10 fuels, is that it won't tolerate even tiny amounts of water.. the old mtbe fuels pre2006, could have a decent amount of water, and mix up and still burn. the e10 fuels will NOT mix with even a small amount of moisture in the system especially if the fuel begins to phase separate. That moisture comes from the condensation forming in an empty tank, and even as small an amount as that may be, is it worth it? And as you will have old fuel in the lines anyway, you would be better off storing with a full tank and draining the fuel with stabilizer to use in your lawn mower. The full tank will help inhibit rust too..

but do what ya want. I see zero benefit from storing with an empty tank other than saving a few minutes in the spring when you get to pour new gas in vs. draining the old gas first.. if you even would need to drain it if it has the prescribed amount of fuel stabil added.

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull


Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 AM
"The Dude abides .. "
 
MELK-MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: tampa
Posts: 4,558
Bike: 2008 yamaha R6 - 2 bikes
Re: Fuel Stabilizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmn View Post
In Canada shell 95 octain has no ethenol...that's what I use for storage in the tank
just because the pump doesn't say "contains ethanol" does not mean it is ethanol free. Many states here do not require the stickers on the pumps. If your pump clearly says "ETHANOL FREE" then you are good..

MICHELIN, EBC, Proflow Technologies
Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice, Sharkskinz, Pit-Bull


Greg Melka - CCS roadracing and FTR harescrambles
www.facebook.com/greg.melka.1
My racin n' ridin youtube vids http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=mhee
MELK-MAN is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
NyseR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 346
Bike: 2012 Blue R6
Re: Fuel Stabilizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELK-MAN View Post
the thing many are not understanding about the e10 fuels, is that it won't tolerate even tiny amounts of water.. the old mtbe fuels pre2006, could have a decent amount of water, and mix up and still burn. the e10 fuels will NOT mix with even a small amount of moisture in the system especially if the fuel begins to phase separate. That moisture comes from the condensation forming in an empty tank, and even as small an amount as that may be, is it worth it? And as you will have old fuel in the lines anyway, you would be better off storing with a full tank and draining the fuel with stabilizer to use in your lawn mower. The full tank will help inhibit rust too..

but do what ya want. I see zero benefit from storing with an empty tank other than saving a few minutes in the spring when you get to pour new gas in vs. draining the old gas first.. if you even would need to drain it if it has the prescribed amount of fuel stabil added.

Like I said, I fill my tank, use stabilizer, and drain the tank in the spring (I put it in my wife's car which makes her happy, hehehe). My main point was for the average person that stores their bike over the winter and plans on letting it sit for 3 month or more and does not want to drain gas in the spring (which is quite a lot of people on this forum), it doesn't make any difference if you fill your tank and use stabilizer or leave your tank empty and save a few bucks.

Or more simply put, a full tank of gas is just as harmful as an empty tank, just for different reasons.

Current Mods: Full Leo Vince Factory EVO II carbon exhaust, Bauce Racing ECU, Bazzaz Z-Fi + AFM, DID ERV3 520 chain, Renthal 15/47 sprockets, Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires, BMC track filter, HyperPro RSC steering damper, Rizoma RRC rearset, Rizoma Radial Sport mirrors, Fren Tubo SS brake lines, Rizoma front and rear brake reservoirs, Puig DB light smoke windscreen, AGG smog block-off plates, Proton flushmounts, Shermoto Racing levers, Driven D3 grips, Motodynamic smoked integrated tail light, Rizoma chain adjuster, Rizoma gas cap, Rizoma oil filler cap, OEM solo seat cowl, BikeStyle passenger peg plugs, Carbon fiber ram air covers, Shogun framesliders, Vortex swingarm spools, Gregg's Customs rear tag cover, Custom fender eliminator, 90 degree valve stems, CustomLED relay, Scala G9, Slowboy reservoir socks, Motul 300V, Engine Ice, NJG custom decal set, Pitbull front and rear stands
NyseR6 is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 AM
ready to race
 
basmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 73
Bike: 03R6.08FZ1.81cb750F etc.
Re: Fuel Stabilizer?

noted..regarding the ethanol..as far as leaving the tank empty i would never do that..look at how many people selling older bikes have rusty old fuel tanks (inside) and have to coat them...my 81 CB 750 F tank(32 yrs old) on the inside looks like it just came from the dealer.....no room for condensation means NO rust... if your not shure how good the fuel will be in the spring drain it and use it in the lawn mower...just my opinion.
basmn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel stabilizer Tcombs911 Exhaust and fuel delivery 8 11-30-2012 12:19 AM
Fuel Stabilizer Dollar505 General Discussions 9 06-14-2012 08:40 PM
Connect fuel line to fuel rail? JayK Garage / Mechanical Help 2 09-01-2011 05:01 PM
fuel stabilizer mindgame General Discussions 10 10-08-2009 05:56 PM
Trade my Blue GPR Stabilizer for your Gold GPR Stabilizer Hwoody77 Bikes Parts For Sale 1 07-21-2007 09:55 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome