Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

It's been a productive year...

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  joe05r6 
#1 ·
Yup.

Rolled over 10k miles on the six today. Kind of a bittersweet feeling I guess. This is my first bike. Bought it in January and as soon as the temps got above freezing, I was out riding. I ride it to and from work a few times a week, or really whenever the weather permits.

Gone through alot in my first year of riding. I had never even sat on a bike before the six. No dirtbikes, nothing..... not even dem pocket bikes. Probably not the best call by jumping on a 100+ HP, 360lb rocket as my first bike, but I don't regret it. I took the MSF course in March and learned alot. Unfortunately, I didn't learn how to know when I was riding beyond my limits. I had to learn that one on my own.

It was May 18th. Only had a handful of group rides under my belt. A bunch of us went out to 211 / 33. It was there that I learned the biggest lesson I've learned since I started riding. The crazy thing is I felt comfortable with the pace all day, and I was proud of myself for keeping up with these guys that have been riding for years. It wasnt until after I ran off the road and into the side of the mountain, that I realized that I wasn't ready for that "panic" situation. I basically went into the turn too hot, and when I realized that, instead of making the proper adjustments, I froze up, target fixated, and that was it.

Spent some time in the hospital, and almost $4000 out of my pocket to fix up the bike. Incredibly, my riding down time was only 5 weeks. One week in the hospital, two weeks on bedrest, and two weeks to fix up the bike. Of course, big thanks to GIXXER7FOOL for helping with the rebuild. Couldn't have done it without ya.

Now I'm breakin into the track. Had my first TD a couple weeks ago and had a blast. Still can't think of anything that compares to it. I have all intentions of getting a race bike this winter, and becoming a full on track whore next year. The way I see it is, you can ride harder and faster than ever before.... and you feel 10x as comfortable. Atleast thats how I felt on my first TD.

Learned alot this year.... yet I've got so much more to learn.

God I love this sport.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats to hitting 10K thats a milestone for sure! :YEA

I'll be there by the end of this month or early next month.. and bought mine in mid-March.

Thanks for the pic as to what 10K on the ODO looks like.. i always try to remember the points where all the digits are the same - 1111, 2222, 3333, and so on.. when was it, what i was doing, who was there, etc etc..
but recently they seem to fly by so quickly i couldnt keep track :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.