Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Rough shifting 1st-2nd gear (Newbie)

8K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  modrid81 
#1 ·
I've noticed that my 05 R6 with only 3K miles on the clock, shifts rough when going from 1st gear to 2nd. I feel a clunk.

I try to shift as smooth as possible. Sometimes I get a nice shifting, but sometimes I get a rough shifting. :rolleyes:

Is it normal on these bikes or I'm doing something wrong?

It's my first bike.

What I do is slightly pull the clutch lever while releasing the throttle. Then I shift. Then I release the clutch lever and accelerating again.

Maybe I need to keep the revs up and not let them go down.

;)

Please advice

#2 ·
The clunk could be something as simple as you feeling the fears slip from first, through neutral and then into second. I notice this every once and awhile but never worried about it. As you get more comfortable and find a particular way to shift, you'll probably notice this issue less and less.

I'd try to explain how I shift, but its a bitch when you actually sit down and think about it.

#3 ·
WhiteSnake74 said:
I've noticed that my 05 R6 with only 3K miles on the clock, shifts rough when going from 1st gear to 2nd. I feel a clunk.

I try to shift as smooth as possible. Sometimes I get a nice shifting, but sometimes I get a rough shifting. :rolleyes:

Is it normal on these bikes or I'm doing something wrong?

It's my first bike.

What I do is slightly pull the clutch lever while releasing the throttle. Then I shift. Then I release the clutch lever and accelerating again.

Maybe I need to keep the revs up and not let them go down.

;)

Please advice
its normal dude..............i tripped on it awhile ago on my 05 also............dunno why it does it but it does.................but when u feel a smooth shift,i guess its because your learnin how to shift...........???

#10 ·
whitesnake. synthetic 15-50 oil and a shift shaft support and it virtually goes away.

#13 ·
practice more.. its like that.. but it goes away.

#15 ·
jgopolka said:
if you are riding easy in normal citytrafic it will clunk.. Get out on the highway and let her rip and you will not feel or the hear the clunk at all. It is the nauture of the beast. They all do it.
Mine actually clunks more at lower speeds. He's right though. I switched to synthetic and took her out and beat on her - she shifted a lot smoother.

#16 ·
If you blip the throttle tiny bit from 1st to 2nd (I do this sometimes only from 1-2), every shift will be silky smooth. Sometimes if I'm in traffic and I notice my 1st to 2nd upshifts are rough, I just blip the throttle. Problem solved. It's basically rev matching. It works very well. Try it.

#19 ·
Lol. There was a more recent thread regarding this topic, and I most likely had multiple browser tabs open on the subject when I went to reply, and I replied to the oldest thread by mistake.

Ehhh, it happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.