Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Difference Between R6 and R6s

61K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  Intuit 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 R6 and i was wondering what the difference is between the two? I know the middle farring is different along with the rear liscense bracket but other than that i cant tell a difference

#6 · (Edited)
#10 ·
Ok, i got a question??? When i purchased my r6s last year, i purchased the 08 model. Brand new of the show room floor. Ok so now i am at a point where i am actually taking turns really nice and actually riding it like its supose to be riden... What i wanna know is whats the actuall diference in handeling and power. Then lets say a R6 or a Suzuki 600... I mean in general i see specifications but what is the diferance with the brakes and the shocks... How much better is the handeling, i mean what is the r6s compered to the r6... Idk i kinda purchased this bike without really researching or anything and i feel that i made a mistake what i should have done is do some research and then purchase because there was a small diferance in price, since i purchased it brand new.. lets say from a r1 or a r6... regular.. or evan a suzuki or a kawi..not that i like any of them but i am just saying...
Thanx.

#11 ·
Sorry, thats more like questions... :sing

#13 ·
Hey guys sry to revive a dead thread but i used the search button lol, anywho im alittle cunfused, i bought this bike, im the second owner, question is now im not sure do i have a R6 or R6's? or like somone said it was rebadged for the year for some reason? That it is a R6"? Is this R6 the same R6 as other years or somthing? i see alot of the same R6 04 on the forum and people saying its a "R6" so can someone tell if i have a R6" or R6s" I know about the inverted forks but again all the R6 i seen on the forum are just like mine...thanks fellas

heres a pic shitty pic sry its all i got..

#14 ·
thats an R6s man 03&04 and 06 and up look just like yours
i have an 07 R6s and it looks just like yours minus the stickers i took mine off

#19 ·
okay first let me say thanks for taking the time to explain it to me..So It is and R6 technically for its time in 03-04 but its really a R6s cause the 06+ has the same stuff as the 03-04 had casue they changed everything as u said and the newer R6 is different then the 03-04 ones...My question is now is the 03-04 R6 engine wise and clutch different then the 05 up "R6" basicly does it have the same performance as the newer "R6" with the style as the R6s, you know where im getting at? sry if i sound like a moron lol..thanks bro your very helpful.

#20 ·
Well your's is an 04 so it's just an R6. The 06+ R6s is the same thing performance wise. Anything from the 03-04 R6 and the 06+ R6s are interchangeable like clutches, levers, frame, motor, triple trees, forks, etc... Everything. Most of the stuff from the 05 will work on the 03-04 and the 06+ R6s. Now the 3rd gens are a completely different beast, with a completely different motor, frame, power curve, everything. Really the R6s just signifies that it is a 2nd generation(03-04) R6 that was produced in 2006 and later. If you found a cheap wrecked 07 R6s everything good on it would be interchangeable with your 04.

#21 ·
ahh i see, okay so i have a R6' not an R6's But if all the R6s are interchangable doesnt make u think personally in your head "well i really have a R6s" u know what im trying to say..Cause im guessing the R6s is slower or whatever u may call it i dunno i may using the wrong words for it but im guessing your getting where im goin with this, but instead of calling it a R6 cause its a different beast, they went back to 03-04 model R6 style cause its "easyer bike to ride" ? and not as much performance as the R6.. am i kinda right or way off into left field lol

#22 ·
:lmao Yea essential. When they had the 03-05 R6 they still had the thundercat(YZF600r) as and entry level sportbike. In 06 They were phasing out the YXF600r so the 2nd gen R6 became the R6s as their more entry style or not soo much race oriented sportbike. The 3rd gen R6 was designed to be a track beast, the 03-04 R6 and R6s was a track beast and still is but they tried to top themselves and make something more aggresive for the track which is what they did. The 2nd gen R6(&R6s) have a little more relaxed riding position, not as good suspension and brakes, and the motor isn't as top end focused. It has a little more low end power and is generally more street rider friendly. The 3rd gens have explosive top end but are pretty dead in the lower end.

So here when the 03-05s were the king of the yamaha sportbike realm here is what you had.
The track bad boy

The more entry level 600 the thundercat

Then in 06 when things changed
The new R6 and new track monster

Now the old track bad boy(R6) became the new(R6s) entry style, less aggresive option for a sportbike.

Nomenclature. It's a bitch isn't it. :lmao

#23 ·
yeah bro lol, but in all, mine and yours is a legit R6, but as a reminder its a R6s aswell lol and now i understand, before we had the other 600 and our bike was beast of the track..Now 2006-2010 its named a R6s" cause they redid the R6" and now our bike is entry level bike compared to the new R6" and prolly soon enough the new R6 might be an entry level bike soon when they redo the R6 again ya know its all about time and stuff..But not for nothin R6, R6s this bike doesnt feel like a entry level bike by no means.. I had a 2005 CBR600RR, and i feel like my 04 yamaha feels quicker and faster then my CBR, idunno why that is? what do you think...Also my friend what should i do to my bike performance wise bang for it buck mods i should do to get everything outa this bike? it also has a GYRT pipe allready..Again my friend thanks alot bro for the help...In easyer terms You the shit! lol:lmao

#28 ·
actually there is a different spocket on the bike, its a Vortex i think? how do i narrow down what kind it is, details on it? Also what about a power commander?

#29 ·
this thread made me not confused no more! but i have a question, if every part is interchangeable and r6 is the same as r6s, how come some exhaust such as hotbodies megaphone would not fit S model? because i would like to get an exhaust for the r6 but it states NON S MODEL. Which really confuses me.

#39 ·
You do not have a S model.

#38 ·
R6 or v model

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.