Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Compensating for lost power!?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Acemastr 
#1 ·
I have installed 15/47 sprockets, and 520 chain. noticed high end power loss, and increase in torque/acceleration. Also I am installing a mid pipe hopefully next week. Now would I be loosing or gaining power with that mod? If I proceed with flashing the Ecu would that compensate for the total power loss?

#2 · (Edited)
gearing 101:
you don't lose power or torque with gearing changes. doesn't happen. If you don't believe me, take your bike to a shop with a dyno and run it with the 15t front, then put a 17t front on. hp and tq will be identical. Acceleration WILL change, but that is not torque or hp..

what you lost, was a lot of top speed , and mph per gear. You are having to shift faster.. and are likely not shifting fast enough, perhaps shifting at too high an rpm. These bikes peak in hp around 14,300 rpm or so, and power drops off considerably after that. so shifting too late, you are not keeping the bike in the peak area.

with this gearing, it should FEEL like it's got more power, not less, as you are reving out a little faster per gear.

if your chain is way too tight, that could be a problem and result in power loss. And a problem that will reveal a very expensive symptom in the not too distant future.

#10 ·
The sound and looks you want? changing gearing has nothing to do with either of these. You've got more acceleration but less top speed now, is that what you were going for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.