Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

R6 corner speed vs R1 straight line speed with gopro footage from The Ridge

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  AH665R6 
#1 · (Edited)
Onboard footage chasing a 2015 R1 at The Ridge Motorsports Park

Just a little clip from a trackday following one of our fast club racers. He was taking it easy, I was trying my hardest to keep up.

I actually cut my laptime down by three seconds chasing him, and got down to a 1:44 on the new configuration. His race pace is about 2 seconds off the lap record. Current lap record is 1:38.9 used to be 1:37 before they changed turn 13 and 15. That R1 dynoed at about 200rwhp I believe.

https://youtu.be/WKGwCHxt-Bg

#2 ·
Seems to be completely down to rider in that video, the R1 rider didn't move his upper body!

I know from chasing my dad on his '15 R1 that the traction control/electronics give a huge increase in confidence coming out of corners

#3 ·
Man I miss that track. Damn Canadian dollar right now..

He sure picked it up a bit after the pesky little 600 passed him the first time. Also, that was quite the 3 way R1 sandwich you were in on the front straight near the end there. :swordfigh

Your bike doesn't wheelie out of 11 though? That was one of my favorite parts about that place. The crossed up power wheelies out of 11 because my bike made so much darn power at sea level there.

#5 ·
I used to, but I've changed my lines and been smoother on the gas, and it doesn't wheelie anymore. Gearing helps too. At one point I was running -1+2, but I've learned that short gearing isn't necessarily better in the corners. Longer gearing has helped me carry more speed and I've ultimately gotten a lot faster with longer gearing and pirelli's...

#4 ·
My point was mainly about corner entry, the R6 really shines. And trust me, this guy on the R1 is very fast. He wasn't at race pace by any means. He was holding back. It was only a trackday. But yeah his electronics really allow him to hammer the throttle. Body position is important, but not as much as some people think. Have you all seen josh hayes???

#6 · (Edited)
Re: Onboard footage chasing a 2015 R1 at The Ridge Motorsports Park

My power wheelies there weren't from cracking open the throttle. It would be as my bike climbed through the revs the front end would start coming up like a damn liter bike when I'd hit the meat and potatoes of the power band. The amount of power you guys make there compared to our 2200' here is awesome. I couldn't believe how strong my bike felt.

Of course I could hold back and 'not' wheelie there, but who does that? Unless you're in 1st place and you're drag racing 2nd place to turn 12, have fun riding out some crossed up hoolies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.