Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Bike is "acting up" / Possible ignition coil problem?

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  burudma10 
#1 ·
Alright y'all, any help you guys could send my way would be appreciated.

Yesterday while riding my R6 started sounding like it had become a 250. I lost a lotttt of power and it just kind of feels like one of my cylinders isn't firing. I've reviewed a few of the threads that sound similar. One poor guy dropped a cylinder but he was saying his had a clanking clunking noise. I don't have any noise like that. it just sounds like the engine is sort of sputtering while i'm on it.

I did the spray test on my headers and but i've never done that.. so i wasn't really sure what i was looking at. It looked like one cylinder might have been not heating up as much as the others but i'm not sure. I took it all apart. The one spark plug of the suspected cylinder was realll loose, so i tightened it up and checked all the others for good measure. started her up and she purred like a walrus(in a good way). I rode it about half a mile and she sounded great. I turned her off and back on and we were right back to sounding like a 250.

Very Frustrating. Anyone have any guidance? I started to look for ignition coils.. does $600 sound accurate for a pack of 4?

sorry i'm throwing a lot at you guys at once..

See less See more
#4 ·
Is your bike the 2005 in your garage picture? When you checked the coils which specs did you go by? The 2003 manual has specs for the denso coils that were recalled and switched out by the Mitsubishi coils which the specs for those are in the 2004 supplement. When doing the water test look for any time difference in how long it takes a spray of water to evaporate off the header and try to keep it even height across all 4 if one or two take longer to evaporate then they are the colder cylinder.

Also if it were me and I was at the spark plugs like that I would have just went ahead and replaced them

Link to all the manuals incase you dont have them
R6 Service/Maintenance/Repair Manual - R6Messagenet.com

#5 ·
Hey TDoss, Yes my bike is the 2005 R6. Ive just been going by the 05 specs that I've come across either on this site or other websites. Which has been kind of difficult. I have the bike back apart. I might change the spark plugs and see if that does it.

Does anyone have any info on the ignition plug harness?? could that be an issue?

#6 ·
more than likely the threads are stripped on the head. You mentioned that its respective plug was loose. You tightened and maybe caught a couple of threads and once you wrote it spit it out again. I had to get a timesert put in at a local machine shop.

#7 ·
Definitely going to check that out Sidelong! how much was that to have done? been very busy today with work and looks like the rest of the weekend, so i haven't really been able to much more tinkering. I'll be back at it by Monday. In the mean time anyone with any thoughts please feel free to drop a note. I really appreciate y'all's help.

#8 ·
I realize its not like anyone is following this thread.. but here's an update anyways.

I checked all the spark plugs. They're still all snug as a bug. I checked all the plugs coming from the ignition coil harness. They're all delivering 12 volts. Also, I quickly ran it while disconnecting the harness from a single ignition coil. the tone of how the engine seemed to change and it popped up as an error message. I looked over all the ignition coils and they seem all alright. tested them again and they all seem to still be spec. I disconnected my power commander. nothing changed.

I think next what I will do is going to be in dry gas and refill the tank with fresh gas...?? really not sure guys.

bringing my cousin in. He's much more familiar with this stuff than I am.

#9 ·
I had the same issue. Spark plugs need to be swapped every 8k on our bikes and mine was long overdue. I wanted my bike back on the road asap, so I just bought all new coils and spark plugs for about $300. If you don't have money for new coils, try just swapping new plugs.

I think coils go for about $60 a pop, and plugs around $10.

#10 ·
Rochainskool: that's really where I'm at. do I do that for like you said around three hundred bucks and hope it fixes it?? or do I bring it into a shop, wait a few weeks and have them diagnose the issues.. haha about to just flip a coin. I am leaning towards just buying new coils and plugs. Thanks for your input!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.