Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Need help: need learner bikes to jump from 150cc to R6

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  TurboBlew 
#1 ·
Hello guys I'm a new member here. This is my first post so I hope things would go right here.

I'm 17, 65kg, 6ft tall and been riding 150cc for the past 2 and half years. I wanted supersport bikes since I was 10 y/o but I still have the sanity not to go straight on a 600cc.

So I bought a small 150cc bikes and rode it for over 2 years as of now.

Now I'm about to enroll at college and going to get a bike probably more than 300cc. I'm not saying that I'll go straight for the R6 cuz I know I still need some more time before being able to handle that monster. What I want is a bike that can help me improve my skill so that by the next 2 or 3 years I'll be able to ride an R6.

So does anyone have any idea of good learner bike, which is around 500cc - 600cc for me to learn before taking R6? I have been riding Ninja 250cc as well and I think that doesn't differ too much from my 150cc, so probably I won't be taking any 250ccs.

#2 ·
Suzuki SV-650
Ninja 650
Ninja 500
Suzuki GS500
KTM RC390

The KTM is the only one that's got real supersport ergos, just with a smaller motor. The other bikes are a little more upright, more of a 'standard' bike than sportbike. The 650 bikes listed are two cylinder, and make significantly less power than a supersport 600, along with milder ergonomics, steering head angle, etc.

#6 ·
Not trying to convince you to getting one as they are powerful machines..
BUT, Their low - mid range power is nothing...feels like a 250cc max. It's only once you go past 10k revs it comes alive. Saying that, It'll only go as fast as you want it to. Don't be an idiot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.