Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

White smoke come out from my 2006 R6 exhaust

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Thecca 
#1 ·
Hey guys.
I recently purchased an R6, today is my second day riding it. The privious owner left his bike in the garage for a year, he just left it there, he didn't start it or anything. The bike is running good, but sometimes during my ride there will be white smoke coming from the exhaust. I just changed oil yesterday ! Thanks, I will really appreciate you responses

#2 ·
How cold is it where you live?

#3 ·
Means the engine is burning coolant or coolant is getting into the oil. When you changed the oil, Was it coffee colour?

Also, It could also be to do with the temperature where you live. When I start my bike up in the morning, it gushes out with white smoke for about 2 mins.

#5 ·
The oil was pretty dark, like a brownish color. This morning when I started my bike, the white smoke came out and it lasted for 30 secs. A friend of mine said he had the same problem, he said it's because the bike has been siting for too long. He said after riding it for a while, the smoke will be gone.

#7 ·
Sorry I've been MIA. It could very well be condensation burning off. My BMW does it all the time especially if it is cool and humid. Typically until the engine temp gets good and hot. Just like a car does.
If it stops after riding for a while it might be fine.

#8 ·
Check you haven't overfilled the oil. Use the dipstick. If it's too high the excess oil burns off out of the exhaust. I've seen this happen with a friends R6 at the track. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but sometimes it can be something really simple

#9 ·
White smoke is not oil burning. Oil burns with a black/blue smoke.
White smoke is water. If you only have white smoke a short time after the startup it's normal. Probably moisture in the pipes.

If it's consistent you probably have a blown headgasket and coolingwater leaking into the cylinders.
Check to see if your coolant level is OK.

#10 ·
White smoke is normal during cold start if there is condensation...

It white smoke is still there when engine and exhaust is warm, then you have an issue!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.