Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Warming up engine necessary?

9K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  tfs32 
#1 ·
So was talking to some of my friends the other day and we got on to the subject of warming up your bike before you ride away. They say it's best to let your bike sit at idle for 5 mins or so till it reaches it's operating temp before riding it?

I was always under the impression that as long as you keep the revs low you can just fire the bike up and go? Isn't that going to be just the same as letting it sit for 5-10 mins?

#2 ·
With fuel injection the bike is in open loop until it warms up. So it may run a little rich for a few miles. On my 05 I wait until my temp gauge goes from lo to 104*. I can hear the idle change when it reaches about 130*. I would say the biggest benefit to warming up the engine first is oil flow. That would ensure that all the internals are wet with fresh oil and not dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
With fuel injection the bike is in open loop until it warms up. So it may run a little rich for a few miles. On my 05 I wait until my temp gauge goes from lo to 104*. I can hear the idle change when it reaches about 130*. I would say the biggest benefit to warming up the engine first is oil flow. That would ensure that all the internals are wet with fresh oil and not dry.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funny... the water temp can rise 80 degrees and the oil temp probably wont be over 100 degrees. The oil will warm up faster if churned thru the transmission (like on a rear stand)

If you operate the bike is a really cool climate... its a good idea to freeze a quart of your favorite oil to see how it flows cold! :wink:

#5 ·
I always let mine warm until i see it hit 104...then i just keep the revs a little lower until its at a good op temp.

#10 ·
on my street bike id fire it up while i got my helmet and gloves on and then take it easy till i put a couple miles on it. my race bike i warm up in the morning and let it get to operating temp and then before each session out she gets to run for a couple minutes while i get my helmet and gloves on, unless its cold out then ill give it a couple extra minutes.

#20 ·
While I can't comment on the yamahacrazy's post, I can confirm that I heard from a friend who read it on the internet that you don't want to simply let the bike idle at the stock idle of 1.2k or whatever it is, but rather idle at 2k or higher either by adjusting the ECU settings (flash) or manually holding it at that point with your hand on the throttle due to oil pressure being too low at stock idle. #longestsentenceever

#21 ·
Built motors blow. Stock mills are reliable. I know several people with +20k on their race bikes. I had 18k on mine (7 street, 11k race only) and it was still tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.