Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

airbag vest tether ?

815 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  The Evil Twin 
#1 ·
hey guys, wondering where you guys have mounted the tether to your bikes, i bought a hit airbag vest yesterday, attaching it to my 08 r6. i did a search here and didnt see anything about it. i was looking at the bike and im pretty confident the tail is getting a hole for this thing to go on, question is, where have you attached yours, that youve actually tested in a crash, without breaking the tail or damaging the tether. i thought about attaching it with safety wire to the rear bolt on the tail but im not sure how well that mount would take a tug like what the vest needs to deploy. ive got two broke subframes in that spot here so it seems to be a bit of a weak spot

#2 ·
A assume you have the RS-1 vest? The cord is in the rear?
If that's the case then I attached mine under the seat to the aluminum cross bar. The one that the seat pan attaches to. Drilled a hole in the tail and ran the cable through it.
Edit- probably won't work if you have the stock seat still.

#3 ·
Not sure the model number but yeah the tether is in the back of the vest. That's what I was thinking too but my concern was the tail taking a beating from the tether getting jersey to the side. Have you tested yours out yet to see how it does?
The other concern I had was water getting around the computer and bazzaz with a hole in the tail, I'd imagine both have some resistance to water but I'd rather not test it. What are your thoughts about attaching it to the rear bolt of the tail under a washer?

#5 ·
thats another option i was thinking of too. these things crash pretty good in a low side, i put mine down three times last year and the only scuffing on the tail was when it mowed some lawn at speed. anyone attach it to the seat bolt right where you sit?

#6 ·
Mine is a race only bike. Minor glass repair is the least of my worries if I crash. The tail is cheap compared to everything else. I have the YEC ECU and no need for an add on controller so it's well out of the way of water. Besides the stock seat is far from keeping it dry. The SB tail is more water resist than it ever was.

#7 ·
thats what ive got in mine as well, the sb seat. ive been lucky so far and in 5 crashes i havent had a high side. oh the bike has tried to high side me a bunch of times, but its failed, lol. did you use that grommet it came with? also mounting it that close to yourself, do you find the tether to be too long now and if so, did you shorten it at all? both of mine are race only as well.

#8 ·
Even in a low side the vest can be very effective. I crashed at 90+ in an endurance race. All was good till I hit the grass and gravel. Thought I was in a washing machine. Didn't have the vest because the team bike had no place to connect it. Probably would have saved me thousands.
I did shorten the bike side attachment. I just cut the leash shorter and moved the clamp. I can snap a pic if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.