Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Recent run in with the law

683 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  tones160 
#1 ·
My recent encounter with the police. I have had good and bad encounters but this is one of the latter. By no means do I harbor ill will towards the police.

Attached pic of my license plate and where it's mounted.

I was on my way home last night from a buddies house, it was around 4 in the morning. I'm about a mile away from my house when I get pulled over. I had no idea why because I was going 1 under the speed limit (30) and everything was up to date. The officer walks up to my bike and asks for just my license. While I am trying to pull it out of my backpack, he calls me a "stupid m*ther*****er." I said "excuse me?" He then repeatedly calls me the same thing over and over, cussing up a storm. I hand him my license and ask why I am being pulled over. He replies "I can't see your license plate." I ask him if he needs to see my registration and insurance and he says no. He then asks why did I make my license look like that and why is it mounted to where it looks hidden. I told him I bought the bike like this and it passed safety and everything is up to date. He said the previous owner is a "dumb*ass" and so am I because I didn't change it once I bought the bike. He stated that he thought I was going to run because he couldn't see my plates. He offers to "SMASH" my plates upward so it is more visible. At this point the officer was just really hostile and agitated, I felt as if he was waiting for an excuse to do something. The more I tried to speak up for myself, the more angrier he got. So at this point I just replied with "yes sir I will change it" over and over and also adding in a few "sorry's." He handed back my license and let me off with a "warning."

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeesh, what a dick. That being said, I've never been a fan of mounting a plate that far in. I mount mine right under the taillight. If you end up going that route, take a look at the TST Elite-1 fender elim kit. Decent price, and great quality. I didn't have an issue mounting it.

#3 ·
Sounds like he was a bit out of line......but, mounting a plate in that location and not illuminated is not legal just about anywhere in the USA. Many people have it there, but you run the risk of a ticket....you just need to be aware and be ready to accept the consequence. Just like exhausts, turn signals and mirrors, you should know the laws in your state and be ready for that time you get to meet that one cop that's having a less that optimal day.

#5 ·
Yeah here in NY i had my plate on the side of my ear wheel mount without lighting. Got pulled over and informed me it was ilegal to have it like that, but he was a nice dude fortunately lol... i had told him i bought it like that and it was true. Next month i mounted it right underneath my tailight and bought LED that screws in with the plate and its bracket. Havent had a problem with the law since.

#8 ·
FOH, the only thing they will see is my smoke if that ever happens. And im always complying with the law but that would be a bit excessive now. I know they have already started doing that with cars in NYC specially loud ones. They ticket you for low suspensions, license plate frames and ect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.