Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Lowering the bike

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  TurboBlew 
#1 ·
So I'm looking at new bikes..

GSXR 600 750 and the R6.

The R6 is too tall for me and the GSXR lets me rest with my feet flat sitting on the bike which is kinda important to me..

Here we go...

1. If I do lower the bike (lets say 1-2 inches) is this going to effect the bike? How much? Would if effect handling to the point where I should just go for the GSXR?

2. Will I need to alter the front of the bike also? (I'm thinking yes!) And how would this be done?

3. What lowering links should I get if I'm going to purchase some (price isn't an issue)

4. Can I do this myself? And will I need to adjust anything else on the bike? (Reading other forums I came across people saying to adjust the kickstand)

Thanks is advance! Talked a dealer down to 11,000 OTD for a blue model. If I can lower it with ease and steeze I'm buying!

See less See more
#2 ·
Lowering it will effect handling. Lowering the front also will effect handling less badly.

If you want a lower buy, just buy one that is engineered that way so you don't make it turn like ass. Unless you just want to cruise the strip. Then do whatever. But if you have any desire to ride it at all aggressively, I would not lower it.

#10 ·
I don't know how tall/short you are, but at 5'7"-ish ;)….I am very comfortable with one foot down (usually left) on my stock height R6 ('14). It might take a little getting use to, but I don't even really think about it now. It's just "natural". What do you ride, now?….or, will this be your first bike?

#11 ·
Shiett, im a tall guy 6ft and i usually rest on my right foot..before coming to a complete stop...shift into Neutral before the stop and slow down using both brakes...while almost fully stopping then i finish breaking with the front brake so i can put down my right foot :p...it makes it easier for take off since i already have my left foot resting on my gear pedal. Just a strategy for myself :p. plus im left handed.

#14 ·
I got a gsxr guys haha.
Thanks for the input.

The r6 felt like it handled better (however the gsxr handled bumps better imo) while cornering.

But the thing is I'm going to be riding cities 20% of the time, freeway 20% of the time twisties 50% of the time and track maybe 10% if that.

So comfort played a huge role here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.