Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Buy New R6 or wait for 2017?

11K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  Eddy Park 
#1 ·
Howdy Y'all! My 05 R6 was stolen last year. Now I am thinking of buying my first brand new bike. I have my eyes on the White 2015 model (I would buy 2016 if they had white). BUT I have a feeling the new 2017 model might be worth waiting for. What do you think? When do they usually announce their new models?

There are lots of rumors going around saying it will look like the R1, but if I remember correctly that was proven to be false for now.

#12 ·
well pj may have no choice soon. honda has neither confirmed or denied the rumor but they have kind of hinted that developing a new 600 isnt worth the cost because the demand for a 600 are so low.
5 years ago I would have never dreamed I'd see the day manufacturers were considering dropping the 600ss bikes.

#19 ·
Personally, I'd either get the 2016 model or wait until after the redesign comes out. There might be some kinks in the first model, so I'd rather wait till they get everything right then buy that new model. But it's up to you at the end of the day, whatever makes you happy.

#21 ·
$7500 is absurd! That would be a fantastic deal for sure.

As to the OP, I would be waiting to see what the 2017 model year has to offer. You never know it could be ground breaking, or just the same ole. If the same ole, I would jump on a '15 at that said price without question. However, if they are being pushed out for that cheap I'm sure because of dealer incentives, I would presume there will be some substantial changes coming to the next model.

#30 ·
We really recommend buying the 2016. It's a masterpiece (and you can change the fairings later on to your favourite colour). Most people do change the fairings as a safety procedure to keep the originals like new ( it's really important when you are about to sell it). Feel free to check this article to retain further info about the Yamaha YZF R6 2016.

#35 ·
Yeah I decided to just buy fairings of my liking. I will probably go for 2016 or 2017 R6. It's all going to depend on what they did to the new model. I know the 17 may have problems for being a new model, but I would be willing to take the risk if the new one seems to be worth it.

I'll be there at INTERMOT on Oct 3rd and 4th! I'll let you know if I see anything a bit early :)
Lots of pics please :)
The bike does sound amazing :) It will be great to see the pics in a couple of weeks from Germany.

In years past, when do Yamaha dealers have a newly released model in stock? March/April/May? It seems that the 2015 R1 wasn't available until April or May. Here in the south, that's a couple of months of track days missed.

I am going to have to work on my patience.

Thanks!
This is a great question. I hope someone can answer it. I'd loose my mind if they made it late.

#33 ·
The bike does sound amazing :) It will be great to see the pics in a couple of weeks from Germany.

In years past, when do Yamaha dealers have a newly released model in stock? March/April/May? It seems that the 2015 R1 wasn't available until April or May. Here in the south, that's a couple of months of track days missed.

I am going to have to work on my patience.

Thanks!

#40 ·
I'm beginning to wonder if the 600CC series is worth it, either I am looking in the wrong place or there really isn't any buzz around it. For example when the iPhone 7 was to release there has been a buzz around it for months before release, leaked pictures etc. For this new release there is nothing, no one seems to be talking much about it. Its like no one is excited.

Makes me wonder how the sales on it will go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.