Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Help :(

475 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  8Ball 
#1 ·
Oil light blinking.. So after I changed my oil my oil light now blinks. Oil level is good and bike runs just fine. After lots of research on here it sounded like it was a bad oil level sensor. Ordered a new one and installed it, still flashing. I also noticed my right front blinker doesnt work. I plugged the right blinker into the left side to see if it worked and it did so its not the blinker. Maybe a wiring problem caused them both? I also changed my spark plugs. There was nothing wrong with the ones that were in, I just decided to put new ones in. Stock was NGKs but I used crossover Autolites. Could different plugs cause the blinking? Im so lost. Any ideas my fellow r6ers?

#2 · (Edited)
You need to add oil. That is what the light is telling you. You check the oil with the bike straight up and down, and insert the dipstick til it touches but don't screw it in. Are you sure it is the oil light, not the FI light?

As far as the blinker, yes, you have a wire that is broken or not making contact. It has nothing to do with the oil light or the spark plugs.

What year and model?

#3 ·
If the light flashes 10 times, then stops for a couple seconds, then starts again, then there is an issue in the circuit. Since you already replaced the switch, you need to trace the wiring. And what year and model will make a difference where that wire goes.

#5 ·
If it flashes in the pattern I described, you need to check the wiring. On your bike, the wire should go up in front of the stator, and should have a plug under the fuel tank. From there it goes toward the cluster. There should be a 6 pin coupler with 5 wires in it. The wire from the switch should be white, and the wire to the cluster is black/red. See the attached snip for the shape of the plug. I am not sure if the six pin plug is under the ram air cover, or behind the black plastic cover on the side of the frame.

Attachments

#7 ·
1st look at it visually and see if there are any abraded areas of the harness and all the plugs are connected. Since you have a blinker not working, there might be a couple wires damaged. You should also check continuity from the switch to the cluster plug. It will be white on the switch end and black/red on the cluster end. It changes at the 6 pin plug I mentioned before. Then if all looks good, connections are good, you need to check it to ground from the cluster end (Unplugged from the cluster). If the oil level is good and the siwtch is working, then there should be no continuity to ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.