Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Just bought an '07, maintenance advice?

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  p51mustang23 
#1 · (Edited)
Just bought a blue '07 r6. Very happy with the bike so far. A few blemishes, but overall fairly clean with really low miles.

However, the bike has not been ridden much at all since 2012 (lbought it from a 60 year old guy who, long story short, bought it for one of his sons friends who never paid him), so I'd like to ask everyone's advice as to what maintenance items should be done first.

Oil and filter have been changed already. Oil came out reasonably clean, but the filter like it was several years old and definitely needed replacing. Chain is cleaned too, got most of the rust off.

Front tire is the original (mfr 2006!) and has tread but is showing signs of age and needs replacing. I'm thinking I'll have my dealer throw on some Pirelli diablo rosso III's when I get it inspected. I really liked the Rosso II's on my r3.

---

Also thinking I might need a black windscreen... with some stickers...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Since you did the oil/filter already and the chain. I'd do the coolant, brake fluid, and new tires. As well as the plugs if they haven't been replaced yet, then you should be good to go!

Reactions: The_Don46
#4 · (Edited)
Just keep an eye on the chain, if it was neglected for that long it is possible the orings started to dry out. The chain could begin to stretch more then usual and will be time to replace chain and sprockets. So just keep it lubed and check slack often which you should do anyways. Other then that and what has been said, enjoy the bike man.

Ride safe

#5 ·
Replace the plugs with Iridium. They last longer so a bigger gap between changes. Don't be lazy, it's not THAT difficult. Download service manual and get busy. Maintenance is key, that bike looks brand new and probably has low km? I agree with the other maintenance advise above.

#8 ·
You could always pull the plugs and take a look at them, but plugs really are not all that expensive so if your going through the hassle might as well just replace them. But based on the story of the bike I think your probably right about them being original. If the bike starts and rides/idles just fine you can put it off and make it a winter project too as time to ride is coming to an end quickly for us East Coasters.

It is always hard to tell from pictures exactly what the scratches look like, but if they are not deep gashes they can be touched up. ColorRite Motorcycle Paint will have the OEM matching touchup paint. If they are deep gashes it becomes trickier. They can be filled in and resprayed (expensive) and will look great for a little while. But eventually the filler will expand and contract at different rates then the plastic will and will eventually show through. But judging by the pictures it does not look like that is your case and touchup paint will work just fine.

#14 ·
Thats about what I do, I do oil every 2500 miles or less. Using mobil 1 racing 4t 10w-40 and Hiflofiltro HF204r filter, the one with the 20mm on the end so you can use a socket wrench to get it off. They should use that filter from the factory, seeing as they like to torque them to what feels like 70 ft/lbs, despite the spec being 12 ft/lbs. The mobil 1 is probably good for 5000 miles or more, but clean oil is the best thing you can do for a motor, and its really not expensive. I used yamalube conventional on my r3 and did it every 1500; its cheap and easy.

Finally got a new front tire, Pirelli Rosso III. The difference in handling and grip is noticeable for sure. It's a really good street tire. I'll match the rear sometime next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.